1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charing current

1. Oct 12, 2003 #1
    Charging current

I am total stumped on the following to questions so if someone could show me how to get started that would be good thanks.

1) A storage battery rated at 120 ampere-hours is to be fully charged at constant current in 8 hours. Calculate the charging current.

2) A lead-acid battery is designed to give continuous discharge of 180 amperes for 5 hours. Calculate the time it will be discharged by a steady current of 220 amperes.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2003 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Why don't you use the RC equations for charging and discharging? I would assume you can treat a rechargable battery like a capacity in series with a resistor.

4. Oct 13, 2003 #3

Doc

Hint: ampere-hours is a product.

5. Oct 13, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

DDuardo, were you teasing?

A current is measured in amperes. To go from ampere-hours to amperes, you divide by hours! Think about it.

This is really a "proportion" problem. Let t be the time required by the 220 ampere current. Then x is to 220 as 5 is to 180.
    Or, in more modern terms, x/220= 5/180.

6. Oct 13, 2003 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Thank you, HallsofIvy. Yes, it was a joke. I was trying to make the poor guy complicate the problem even further seeing how you just have to multiple a couple of numbers to get the solution. :smile:

7. Oct 13, 2003 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Gosh, you're evil!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?