What is the charging current for a 120 ampere-hour storage battery?

• Thread starter da-outcast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the charging current for a storage battery with a 120 ampere-hour capacity and determining the discharge time for a continuous current of 180 amperes and 220 amperes. The solution involves simple division and proportion problems.
da-outcast
Charging current

I am total stumped on the following to questions so if someone could show me how to get started that would be good thanks.

1) A storage battery rated at 120 ampere-hours is to be fully charged at constant current in 8 hours. Calculate the charging current.

2) A lead-acid battery is designed to give continuous discharge of 180 amperes for 5 hours. Calculate the time it will be discharged by a steady current of 220 amperes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you use the RC equations for charging and discharging? I would assume you can treat a rechargable battery like a capacity in series with a resistor.

Hint: ampere-hours is a product.

DDuardo, were you teasing?

1) A storage battery rated at 120 ampere-hours is to be fully charged at constant current in 8 hours. Calculate the charging current.
A current is measured in amperes. To go from ampere-hours to amperes, you divide by hours! Think about it.

2) A lead-acid battery is designed to give continuous discharge of 180 amperes for 5 hours. Calculate the time it will be discharged by a steady current of 220 amperes.
This is really a "proportion" problem. Let t be the time required by the 220 ampere current. Then x is to 220 as 5 is to 180.
Or, in more modern terms, x/220= 5/180.

Thank you, HallsofIvy. Yes, it was a joke. I was trying to make the poor guy complicate the problem even further seeing how you just have to multiple a couple of numbers to get the solution. :smile:

Gosh, you're evil!

What is charging current?

Charging current is the flow of electric current that is used to charge a battery or other electrical device.

How is charging current measured?

Charging current is typically measured in amperes (A) or milliamperes (mA) using a multimeter or other electrical measuring device.

What affects the charging current?

The charging current can be affected by various factors such as the voltage of the power source, the type and capacity of the battery being charged, and the resistance of the charging circuit.

Can charging current be dangerous?

Charging current can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. It is important to use the correct charging method and equipment to avoid overcharging or short-circuiting the battery, which can lead to overheating and potential hazards.

How can I optimize the charging current?

To optimize the charging current, it is important to use a charger that is specifically designed for the type and capacity of the battery being charged. It is also recommended to charge the battery in a well-ventilated area and to monitor the charging process to avoid overcharging.