Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charismatic push through mastodon

1. Jan 23, 2010 #1
    Currently I'm working hard translating a manuscript about trunk animals. There is a thread about this in the Earth forum. I just did this part:

My question, google does not tell a lot about this, but is this common in other countries as well, to use 'mastodon' like that?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, I've never heard it used for anything other than, well, a mastodon.

The terms "troglodyte" and "Neanderthal" are sometimes used, but they mean someone who is stuck in old thinking, someone who is not modern. They aren't used as compliments, btw.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  4. Jan 23, 2010 #3
    Yeah I don't know if I would want to be called a massive and excessively hairy beast that can't find a home and is forced to roam forever.

5. Jan 23, 2010 #4
    I'm dutch but have never heard of the term 'mastodon' (at least not in dutch). The online version of the most widely used dictionary doesn't even list it (although a few other online dictionaries do). Then again, I'm not known for my dutch skills so you shouldn't take my word for it.

6. Jan 23, 2010 #5
    Nick, check this. We have a lot of Mastodons.

7. Jan 23, 2010 #6
    Ah, the extra 't' at the end did the trick ;) Proves how little I know about my own language, yay!

8. Jan 23, 2010 #7
    yep!--and then go extinct

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook