Charismatic push through mastodon

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Push
In summary, the conversation is about the term "mastodon" being used figuratively in the Netherlands to describe someone with charisma and leadership, and whether this usage is common in other countries. The use of other terms such as "troglodyte" and "Neanderthal" is also mentioned. One participant, who is Dutch, has never heard the term "mastodon" used in this way in their own language. Another participant points out that the term "mastodon" can also have negative connotations. The conversation ends with a joke about mastodons going extinct.
Andre
Currently I'm working hard translating a manuscript about trunk animals. There is a thread about this in the Earth forum. I just did this part:

Mastodon is also used sometimes figuratively as an expression especially in the Netherlands to indicate somebody with charisma and leadership, not prepared to settle for less than best; a real push through; a mastodon. It’s unclear if the initiator of the expression had the most common but modest mastodon of the Auvergne in mind, or the much bigger Borson mastodon or even the American mastodon.

My question, google does not tell a lot about this, but is this common in other countries as well, to use 'mastodon' like that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, I've never heard it used for anything other than, well, a mastodon.

The terms "troglodyte" and "Neanderthal" are sometimes used, but they mean someone who is stuck in old thinking, someone who is not modern. They aren't used as compliments, btw.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't know if I would want to be called a massive and excessively hairy beast that can't find a home and is forced to roam forever.

I'm dutch but have never heard of the term 'mastodon' (at least not in dutch). The online version of the most widely used dictionary doesn't even list it (although a few other online dictionaries do). Then again, I'm not known for my dutch skills so you shouldn't take my word for it.

Nick, check this. We have a lot of Mastodons.

Ah, the extra 't' at the end did the trick ;) Proves how little I know about my own language, yay!

AverageJoe said:
Yeah I don't know if I would want to be called a massive and excessively hairy beast that can't find a home and is forced to roam forever.

yep!--and then go extinct

1. What is a charismatic push through mastodon?

A charismatic push through mastodon is a type of social media strategy that involves using a charismatic leader or influencer to promote a brand or product on the mastodon platform.

2. How does a charismatic push through mastodon work?

A charismatic push through mastodon works by leveraging the strong personal brand and influence of a charismatic leader or influencer to reach a larger audience and promote a brand or product. The leader will post about the brand or product on their own profile, and their followers will be more likely to trust and engage with the content.

3. What are the benefits of using a charismatic push through mastodon?

The benefits of using a charismatic push through mastodon include increased brand awareness, credibility, and potentially higher sales or conversions. The leader's personal brand and influence can also help to humanize the brand and make it more relatable to consumers.

4. Are there any risks associated with a charismatic push through mastodon?

There can be risks associated with using a charismatic push through mastodon, such as the leader's personal image and reputation becoming intertwined with the brand. If the leader's image is damaged, it could also negatively impact the brand's image. Additionally, if the leader is not a good fit for the brand or product, it could lead to a lack of authenticity and trust from consumers.

5. How can I implement a successful charismatic push through mastodon strategy?

To implement a successful charismatic push through mastodon strategy, it is important to carefully select a leader or influencer who aligns with the brand's values and target audience. It is also crucial to have a clear and transparent partnership with the leader and to provide them with the necessary resources to effectively promote the brand. Additionally, constantly monitoring and adjusting the strategy based on metrics and feedback is key to its success.