Charles Darwin's "Points of Origin": A Fascinating Story

• Thread starter Quasar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Origin
In summary, the conversation was focused on the Charles Darwin story "Points Of Origins" and the impact of his work on evolutionary theory. The speakers discussed the influence of luck and timing on being recognized as a "great mind" and mentioned a researcher named Russell Wallace who also had similar ideas. The conversation ended with the mention of a joint presentation by Darwin and Wallace on descent with modification.
Quasar
I found my self imeresed in the Charles Darwin story "Points Of Origins" and I found it very interesting. Have any of you guys ever read this book if so share it with me, I think Charles was i one of the greatest minds what do guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Quasar
I found my self imeresed in the Charles Darwin story "Points Of Origins" and I found it very interesting. Have any of you guys ever read this book if so share it with me, I think Charles was i one of the greatest minds what do guys think?

I haven't read that one yet. I'll make a point to try and find it though.

I agree that Darwin is one of the greatest minds in history, but I add that being a "great mind" often has much to do with being "lucky" or being "at the right place at the right time".

You do raise a strong idea about Charles Darwin and luck but he wasnt the only person to find out that god didnt create the creatures on Earth and that the Bible has loop holes. There was another guy who lived i think in australia i can not remember his name but he was a anthropologist researcher. He figured out what charles darwin had discovered many years ago but Charles never published his findings in fear of losing all his friends. Some of them were priests and reverends and scientists. But this other guy sent Charles his theories facts and info. When Charles read his ideas, he decided to go publish his ideas before this other guy received all the credit. I learned this in high school anthropology class.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Quasar
You do raise a strong idea about Charles Darwin and luck but he wasnt the only person to find out that god didnt create the creatures on Earth and that the Bible has loop holes. There was another guy who lived i think in australia i can not remember his name but he was a anthropologist researcher. He figured out what charles darwin had discovered many years ago but Charles never published his findings in fear of losing all his friends. Some of them were priests and reverends and scientists. But this other guy sent Charles his theories facts and info. When Charles read his ideas, he decided to go publish his ideas before this other guy received all the credit. I learned this in high school anthropology class.

Hmm, even luckier than I thought, eh?

An Australian?
What u are describing sounds like the work of Russell Wallace. Well renowned as the other guy who also figured out something similar to 'Descent with Modification', one of Darwins friends found out about Wallace's work and informed darwin that someone else was about to go public with Darwins idea, so Darwin was forced to publish.

Ideas are often concieved by two people independantly at the same time.

Apparently the first presentation of descent with modification was given by Darwin and Wallace together to the Royal British Society (or some other such organisation)

1. What are the main points of origin discussed in Charles Darwin's "Points of Origin"?

Charles Darwin's "Points of Origin" primarily discusses the Galapagos Islands and their unique species, as well as the concept of natural selection and its role in the origin of species.

2. How did Charles Darwin's observations on the Galapagos Islands influence his theory of evolution?

Charles Darwin's observations of the diverse and unique species on the Galapagos Islands, particularly the finches, led him to develop his theory of evolution through natural selection. These observations showed him how species can adapt and evolve in response to their environment.

3. What is the significance of Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection?

Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection revolutionized the field of biology and our understanding of the diversity of life on Earth. It explains how species evolve over time through the process of adaptation and survival of the fittest.

4. How did Charles Darwin's "Points of Origin" contribute to the acceptance of his theory of evolution?

Darwin's "Points of Origin" provided evidence and examples to support his theory of evolution through natural selection. His observations and research on the Galapagos Islands served as a strong foundation for his ideas and helped convince others of the validity of his theory.

5. What controversies and debates surrounded Charles Darwin's "Points of Origin"?

One of the main controversies surrounding "Points of Origin" was the idea of natural selection and its implications for religious beliefs and the traditional view of creation. Additionally, some scientists argued against Darwin's theory, believing in other explanations for the origin of species.