Max Temperature Variation in Charles' Law Oxygen Gas Problem

• Thread starter Speedking96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the question asks about the maximum variation in temperature that oxygen gas undergoes before the piston is completely pushed out of a syringe with a maximum volume of 60 ml. The solution involves using the equation (Initial Volume / Initial Temperature) = (Final Volume / Final Temp) and plugging in the given values of 14.5 ml for initial volume and 24.3 degrees Celsius for initial temperature. The final temperature is calculated to be 2137 K, and the variation in temperature is found to be 1347.4 degrees Celsius.
Speedking96

Homework Statement

A syringe with a maximum volume of 60 ml takes in a 14.5 ml sample of oxygen gas at 24.3 degrees Celsius. What maximum variation in temperature does the oxygen undergo before the piston is completely pushed out of the syringe?

Homework Equations

(Initial Volume / Initial Temperature) = (Final Volume / Final Temp)

The Attempt at a Solution

(0.0145 L / 516.45 K) = ( 0.06 L / Final Temp)

Final Temp = 2137 K

Variation = 2137 - 516.45 = 1620.55 K = 1347.4 degrees Celsius

I feel that I correctly did the problem but I have some doubts because the answer seems unintuitive.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Speedking96 said:

Homework Statement

A syringe with a maximum volume of 60 ml takes in a 14.5 ml sample of oxygen gas at 24.3 degrees Celsius. What maximum variation in temperature does the oxygen undergo before the piston is completely pushed out of the syringe?

Homework Equations

(Initial Volume / Initial Temperature) = (Final Volume / Final Temp)

The Attempt at a Solution

(0.0145 L / 516.45 K) = ( 0.06 L / Final Temp)

Final Temp = 2137 K

Variation = 2137 - 516.45 = 1620.55 K = 1347.4 degrees Celsius

I feel that I correctly did the problem but I have some doubts because the answer seems unintuitive.

Thanks in advance for the help.

How do you get 516.45 K as the initial temperature? :confused:

What is (273+24.3)?

1. What is Charles' Law?

Charles' Law is a gas law that states the direct relationship between the volume and temperature of a gas. It states that at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas increases as the temperature increases, and decreases as the temperature decreases.

2. What is the formula for Charles' Law?

The formula for Charles' Law is V1/T1 = V2/T2, where V1 and T1 represent the initial volume and temperature of a gas, and V2 and T2 represent the final volume and temperature of the gas.

3. How is Charles' Law used in scientific research?

Charles' Law is used in various scientific research, particularly in the field of thermodynamics. It is used to study the behavior of gases and their relationship with temperature, and it helps in predicting the changes in volume of a gas at different temperatures.

4. Can Charles' Law be applied to all gases?

No, Charles' Law is only applicable to ideal gases, which follow certain assumptions such as having negligible volume and intermolecular forces. Real gases may deviate from the predictions of Charles' Law at high pressures and low temperatures.

5. How is Charles' Law related to other gas laws?

Charles' Law is a part of the combined gas law, which also includes Boyle's Law and Gay-Lussac's Law. Together, these laws explain the behavior of gases under different conditions and help in understanding the properties of gases.