How do I solve this Charles's Law problem using given information?

• Thread starter lj19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary: There is something important that you are missing about the temperature.You are repeating the same wrong information again and again. If you would stop doing that, you would be able to solve the question.
lj19
QUESTION WITH GIVEN INFORMATION:
How would I solve this problem using Charles's Law?

V1=169-L. V2=85-L. T2=166c.

The answer is in Celsius.EQUATION:
Charles's Law is: V1/T1=V2/T2.THE ATTEMPT AT A SOLUTION:
This problem is from an online homework source. I substituted the given information into the equation for Charles's Law: 169/x=85/166->85x=28054->x=330.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lj19 said:
Charles's Law is: V1/T1=V2/T2.

What is T?

T=temperature. V=volume.

What temperature?

T is the symbol for temperature in equation for Charles's Law.

That's not what I am asking about. This is not "any" temperature. It has a specific name.

Check wikipedia article on Charles' law.

For this class, I am supposed to know that T=temperature. In this problem, T1=unknown, and T2=166 Celsius.

No. Please read wikipedia article. Repeating the same wrong information won't get you to the right answer. There is something important that you are missing about the temperature.

I have read the Wikipedia article on Charles's Law. The information provided on the article cannot be applied in this class for this problem, because I have not been taught absolute temperature, or other information from that article.
I understand how to solve this problem, as I provided under my attempts to solve it, but if I solve it using the equation for Charles's Law, the answer is not correct.

lj19 said:
I have read the Wikipedia article on Charles's Law. The information provided on the article cannot be applied in this class for this problem, because I have not been taught absolute temperature, or other information from that article.
I understand how to solve this problem, as I provided under my attempts to solve it, but if I solve it using the equation for Charles's Law, the answer is not correct.

That only means you have been not paying attention during class. It is impossible to solve the question not using absolute temperature.

There are no different laws for different classes - physics laws are universal. They can be formulated in a slightly different way, but they are exactly the same.

Please check what is an absolute temperature scale unit, perhaps that will show you where is your mistake.

This problem was one part of a three part problem. The other two problems were in the same format using Charles's Law, except with different numbers. I have not been taught absolute temperature. The problem can only be solved by using the givens and plugging them into the equation for Charles's Law, and then solving it, which I have done. I did the exact same thing with the other two problems, and they are correct.
Could someone please explain to me if when solving this problem, I need to convert 166 Celsius to Kelvin's to Celsius? The final answer is in Celsius.

You need to use absolute temperature. Absolute temperature is the one measured in Kelvins. So yes, you have to convert to Kelvins first, do the calculations using Kelvins (because Charles' law requires absolute temperature), then convert back to Celsius.

If you were not so stubborn in repeating the same wrong information again and again you would finish solving this question long ago.

What is Charles's Law?

Charles's Law is a gas law that states that the volume of a given mass of gas is directly proportional to its temperature, assuming that pressure and amount of gas remain constant.

Who is Charles in Charles's Law?

Charles's Law is named after the French scientist Jacques Charles, who first described the relationship between gas volume and temperature in the late 1700s.

What is the formula for Charles's Law?

The formula for Charles's Law is V1/T1 = V2/T2, where V1 and T1 are the initial volume and temperature of the gas, and V2 and T2 are the final volume and temperature.

How is Charles's Law used in real life?

Charles's Law is commonly used in the design and production of gas-powered equipment, such as engines and refrigeration systems. It is also used in weather forecasting and understanding the behavior of gases in various scientific processes.

What happens to gas volume when temperature increases?

According to Charles's Law, as temperature increases, the volume of a gas will also increase, assuming that pressure and amount of gas remain constant. This is because the gas molecules have more kinetic energy and are moving faster, causing them to take up more space.