Charting Darts League Playoffs

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, we are in the last round of playoffs. We have ten teams. The last two vie for a consolation. There is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd trophy. The 7th place gets a(nother) consolation prize. The 8th place gets brooms to clean up the room.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
We're in the last round of darts league playoffs. I want to document where we are now, so everyone can see what's next and how we got here.

I'm not a sports guy, so I come to the table without intuitive knowledge of playoffs.

I get how elimination playoffs work:
1680141174767.png

But that doesn't seem to adequately document the various positions and placements as we advance. And that's what I'm trying to do.

We have ten teams. Only eight get to the playoffs. The last two vie for a Consolation.
There is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd trophy.
7th place gets a(nother) Consolation prize.
8th place gets brooms to clean up the room.
(We do all this as an incentive to keep coming out, and not beg off when you see you're not winning. The aim is to have fun, not to win.)I'll walk through what we've done so far.

Season scores:
Rob
: 31
Rick: 27
Dawn: 26
Victor: 25
Tony: 24
Doris: 21
Bev: 17
Sharon: 14
Dave: 14
Zack: 11

Qualifying night:
The bottom four teams vied to be included in the playoffs. Best played worst based on season's score. So:
Dave and Zack prevailed over Bev and Sharon and thus qualify for playoffs.
Bev and Sharon go to Consolation rounds where they play 3 'best of 9' for a rottle of bum.

Quarter Finals, Week 1:
Rob
(1st place) played Zack (last place) - Zack prevailed
Rick (2nd) played Dave (7th) - Rick prevailed
Dawn (3rd) played Doris (6th) - Dawn prevailed
Victor: (4th) played Tony (5th) - Victor prevailed
Bev v Sharon: play 3 'best of 9'

Semi Finals Week 2:
Rick
(now 1st in playoffs, and his season score of 27) played Zack (last in playoffs and SS of 11) - Zack prevailed
(Here it be where things start leaking out of the holes in my head)
Dawn (now 2nd??, w/ SS of 27) played Victor (SS of 25) - Dawn prevailed
Rob (3rd??) v Dave - Rob prevailed
Tony v Doris - Tony prevailed
Bev v Sharon: play 3: best of 9

Finals Week 3:
Zack
will play Dawn for 1st and 2nd
Rob will play Tony for 3rd
... er ...
Victor will play Tony for ... a consolation (another) rottle of bum?
Dave will play Doris for ?? nothing?
Bev v Sharon: play 3: best of 9

I am confused what happens to players who lose in the playoffs. They still play for standing - they're not eliminated. How do I match them up? When four teams meet in the playoffs, we match them by season scores. I'm sort of lost here.

But here's the thing: What I'm really trying to do is - not merely line them up - but document it in a single visual chart. The equivalent of an elimination chart, but with 1st, 2nd, 3rd and consolations. Does such a thing already exist?

It seems to be a little more complex, where it records actual scores - which is also relevant to how/why they're matched up with each other.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are some suggestions on the wiki page about single elimination.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-elimination_tournament

Basically whatever information is required to make decisions about who advances is recorded on the right side. If a match is best of 9 games and you need only the final number of games each won, you could put that in. (This may not show up correctly due to fonts.)

Dawn 5 ---|
| ---- Dawn
Victor 3 ---|

Here the 5 and 3 are the total games each team won. If these numbers are important to later matches then you can quickly go back and check them.

If it required the scores of individual games then it starts to be too complicated for such a chart.

If there are prizes for 2nd and 3rd, then single elimination is often unpopular. Double elimination is sometimes used in such cases. It means more matches.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-elimination_tournament

Basically, anybody who lost on the main tree has a chance to rise up and claim a prize on the "lost one time" tree. Depending on the tournament rules, maybe somebody on the secondary tree can only claim as high as 3rd. Or, if they lost to the team that finished first, they can challenge the team that would otherwise have been 2nd. There are variations.

Likes DaveC426913

1. What is a "Charting Darts League Playoff"?

A "Charting Darts League Playoff" is a tournament-style competition that determines the overall winner of a darts league. It typically includes the top players from the regular season and follows a specific bracket format.

2. How are players selected for the playoffs?

The players selected for the playoffs are usually determined by their performance during the regular season. The top players with the highest scores or rankings are typically invited to participate in the playoffs.

3. What is the format of the playoffs?

The format of the playoffs can vary depending on the specific league or tournament. However, it usually follows a bracket-style format where players compete in head-to-head matches until there is one overall winner.

4. How long do the playoffs typically last?

The length of the playoffs can vary depending on the number of players and the format of the tournament. It can range from a few days to several weeks, with matches being played on specific days or weekends.

5. What is the prize for winning the playoffs?

The prize for winning the playoffs can also vary depending on the league or tournament. It can range from cash prizes to trophies or other awards. Some leagues may also offer additional benefits or recognition to the winner, such as a spot in a higher division for the next season.

Back