1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chasing a cart down an incline

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1
    Jill has just gotten out of her car in the grocery store parking lot. The parking lot is on a hill and is tilted 3 degrees. Fifty meters downhill from Jill, a little old lady lets go of a fully loaded shopping cart. The cart, with frictionless wheels, starts to roll straight downhill. Jill immediately starts to sprint after the cart with her top acceleration of 2 m/s^2

How far has the cart rolled before jill catches it?

I know you need to set two formulas equal to each other, but I dont know which formulas :cry:

EDIT: I started off by drawing it out and taking the sin of 3 degrees, .0523 and multiplying it by 9.8 to get the acceleration of the cart, I dont know where to go from there
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2
    bump, anyone
  4. Apr 14, 2005 #3
    the cart's acceleration is NOT 9.81 but 9.81sin(3°)

Jill's initial position and velocity is ZERO, her acceleration is 2 + 9.81sin(3°) due to gravity also.

For the cart : initial velocity is zero; initial position is 50 (i assume the 50m downward is along the hill and not measured horizontally)...This is all you need

Use x = x_0 + v_0*t + 1/2at²

where x_0 is initial position and v_0 is initial velocity
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?