Chat Room: Fix Back Button Issue

• Thread starter selfAdjoint
  • Start date
In summary, the chat feature is available every Friday afternoon, but it's hidden so you can't miss it.
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
When I come to PF, I automatically wind up in the chat room. If I try to use the back button, it doesn't work. If I click on "back to the forum" the chat screen stays up behind the forum and I can't get rid of it without closing my browser. This is nothing against chat, but I would prefer to go there voluntarily.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a well known annoyance, however there is not any easy fix. In the past making the chat voluntarily ended up in no one chatting.

I didn't know that there was a chat feature on this site. Do you mean like a physics chat room, or do you mean the general discussion forum in the PF Lounge?

I haven't seen any links to anything that even looks like chat. Am I looking in the wrong place?

I still wonder about the chats -- seeing as I can't ever get in one, due to my work's firewall. It seems to me that the site is called physicsFORUMS because it has FORUMS. If it were physicsCHAT I would expect CHAT.

I also don't like the idea that you don't want to make chat voluntary simply because people didn't end up chatting. So what? Let them do what they want. Make an IRC channel and let people chat if and when they want to. If no one chats, it means no one really wanted to.

- Warren

But still how do I get to this chat? I would like to chat, after all that's one of the reasons why I'm here.

Last edited:
Originally posted by lavalamp
But still how do I get to this chat? I would like to chat, after all that's one of the reasons why I'm here.

The chats are every friday afternoon. It replaces the main page so you can't miss it :smile:

Maybe that's why I haven't seen it. I haven't been registered for long enough. Sounds pretty good, I'll be sure to check it out this Friday afternoon.

1. What is the "Chat Room: Fix Back Button Issue" project?

The "Chat Room: Fix Back Button Issue" project is a scientific experiment designed to address the common issue of the back button not working properly in chat room applications. The goal of this project is to find a solution to this problem and improve the overall user experience in chat rooms.

2. Why is the back button not working in chat rooms?

The back button in chat rooms often does not work due to the use of dynamic web pages, where the content is constantly changing without refreshing the entire page. This makes it difficult for the browser to keep track of the previous page, resulting in the back button not functioning properly.

3. How will you fix the back button issue in chat rooms?

The solution to fixing the back button issue in chat rooms involves implementing a technique called "history pushState". This allows the browser to keep track of the page changes and enables the back button to function properly. This technique will be tested and optimized in the experiment to find the most effective solution.

4. What is the significance of this project?

The "Chat Room: Fix Back Button Issue" project is significant as it addresses a common problem in chat rooms and aims to improve the user experience. It also contributes to the field of web development and showcases the use of innovative techniques to solve technical issues.

5. What are the potential applications of this project?

The potential applications of this project include improving the overall user experience in chat room applications, as well as providing a solution that can be applied to other dynamic web pages. It can also serve as a reference for future web development projects facing similar issues with the back button functionality.