Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chavez Blasts Bush at U.N.

1. Sep 16, 2005 #1
    He openly and angrily lambasted Bush and his policies at the U.N. Summit.
    He even went as far as saying the U.N. should be moved out of the U.S.
    The Article
    Overall, it's not really that interesting of an article, but this part really stood out to me...
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2005 #2

source AFP

He has a valid point.
  4. Sep 19, 2005 #3
    I always liked Chavez
  5. Sep 19, 2005 #4
    I agree. These televangelists are the U.S. counter-parts to the "religious leaders" we're waging war with.
  6. Sep 19, 2005 #5

Gold Member

Yes, freedom of speech is only valid for left-wing rhetoric. Because as we all know, when a leftie speaks of assassination against Bush... oh well, Freedom of Speech!
  7. Sep 19, 2005 #6
    I really don't know much about the man, but I respect his cojones.
  8. Sep 19, 2005 #7
    also a valid point.... :grumpy:
  9. Sep 19, 2005 #8
    You are wrong about that. If you know of anyone publicly calling for the assassination of the president you should let the Secret Service know. They take threats like that very seriously.
  10. Sep 19, 2005 #9

Gold Member

Yes, all calls, public or private to be exact, are investigated by the Secret Service. Unless of course you cry political protest roughly around the primaries. Say.. for example, a certain off-broadway play called "I'm going to kill the president". Defense: "It's art".... might also want to checkout some book called Checkpoint and a comedian called Rick Hall.

A bit off topic but my father told me a few years ago about a funny little incident. Some drunk came off the street into their office (social services office) and yelled out that he wanted to kill the president and then he stumbled off. Next day, Secret Service comes out and interviews everyone in the office! And my father said they looked even more intimidating then they look in movies.
  11. Sep 19, 2005 #10
    No prominent "leftie" has ever talked about assassinating President Bush, and you know that very well. Why, then, must you insist on lyng like this?

(Mods, aren't there rules about trolling?)
  12. Sep 19, 2005 #11
    If Pat Robertson were a character in a play, a book, or a standup comedian; then it'd be perfectly acceptable.

But he wasn't. He was a private citizen directly calling for the literal assasination of Hugo Chavez.

Oh, and I agree with Smurf.
  13. Sep 20, 2005 #12
    :confused: I havn't even said anything.

Edit: Well, while I'm here I mine as well say something:
    I think it's perfectly acceptable for Hugo to demand a diplomatic apology from the US. However, will the US condemn Pat's words? Unlikely. :rolleyes:
  14. Sep 20, 2005 #13
    And I didn't agree with nothing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?