1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ChE Fundamentals ISSUES!

1. Feb 1, 2007 #1
    My first assignment in chemical engineering basics class, and already I am having the problems!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A horizontal cylindrical drum is 2m in diameter and 4m long. The drum is slowly filled with benzene (density = 0.879g/cm^3). Derive a formula for W, the weight in newtons of the benzene in the tank, as a function of h, the depth of the liquid in centimeters.

2. Relevant equations

We were not given any specific equations, but from attemting to do the solving I use:

Density = m/V

3. The attempt at a solution

I have brainstormed. The volume of the drum is 4(pi)=12.56637. I believe that the problem wants for us to use W(h)=?? when finding the equation, and I understand we want to see that as the benzene increases the container becomes heavier. Also, we have the density.

Density = (m/V)
    and W=mg, so W=V(density)g

We could plug things in.

W=(0.879)(9.8)V and get W=(8.7906)V

But here is where Im stuck. Does W=(8.7906)V equal W(h)? And should this be a relationship w/time since the benzene is flowing into the drum? I know this could include related rates (calculus) somewhere, but not sure where. Also, where does the drum's volume come in?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2007 #2
    No replies...
  4. Feb 2, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note the last equation you wrote above.

You're nearly done. You just need to plug in the equation for the volume of the benzene in the drum.

PS: No, this has nothing to do with time, since you don't know the rate at which benzene is delivered to the drum.
  5. Feb 4, 2007 #4
    Thank you very so much! It seems I have done some overthinking. I will do that!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?