Finding Weight of Benzene in a Filling Drum

In summary, the weight of benzene in the tank increases as the depth of the liquid increases. The volume of the drum is responsible for this increase in weight.
MANGOMOJO
My first assignment in chemical engineering basics class, and already I am having the problems!

Homework Statement

A horizontal cylindrical drum is 2m in diameter and 4m long. The drum is slowly filled with benzene (density = 0.879g/cm^3). Derive a formula for W, the weight in Newtons of the benzene in the tank, as a function of h, the depth of the liquid in centimeters.

Homework Equations

We were not given any specific equations, but from attemting to do the solving I use:

Density = m/V
W=ma=mg
V=(pi)r^2h

The Attempt at a Solution

I have brainstormed. The volume of the drum is 4(pi)=12.56637. I believe that the problem wants for us to use W(h)=?? when finding the equation, and I understand we want to see that as the benzene increases the container becomes heavier. Also, we have the density.

Density = (m/V)
and W=mg, so W=V(density)g

We could plug things in.

W=(0.879)(9.8)V and get W=(8.7906)V

But here is where I am stuck. Does W=(8.7906)V equal W(h)? And should this be a relationship w/time since the benzene is flowing into the drum? I know this could include related rates (calculus) somewhere, but not sure where. Also, where does the drum's volume come in?

Physics news on Phys.org
No replies...

MANGOMOJO said:
My first assignment in chemical engineering basics class, and already I am having the problems!

Homework Statement

A horizontal cylindrical drum is 2m in diameter and 4m long. The drum is slowly filled with benzene (density = 0.879g/cm^3). Derive a formula for W, the weight in Newtons of the benzene in the tank, as a function of h, the depth of the liquid in centimeters.

Homework Equations

We were not given any specific equations, but from attemting to do the solving I use:

Density = m/V
W=ma=mg
V=(pi)r^2h
Note the last equation you wrote above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have brainstormed. The volume of the drum is 4(pi)=12.56637. I believe that the problem wants for us to use W(h)=?? when finding the equation, and I understand we want to see that as the benzene increases the container becomes heavier. Also, we have the density.

Density = (m/V)
and W=mg, so W=V(density)g

We could plug things in.

W=(0.879)(9.8)V and get W=(8.7906)V

But here is where I am stuck. Does W=(8.7906)V equal W(h)? And should this be a relationship w/time since the benzene is flowing into the drum? I know this could include related rates (calculus) somewhere, but not sure where. Also, where does the drum's volume come in?
You're nearly done. You just need to plug in the equation for the volume of the benzene in the drum.

PS: No, this has nothing to do with time, since you don't know the rate at which benzene is delivered to the drum.

Thank you very so much! It seems I have done some overthinking. I will do that!

What is ChE Fundamentals ISSUES?

ChE Fundamentals ISSUES stands for Chemical Engineering Fundamentals: Issues and Solutions. It is a scientific journal that publishes research articles, reviews, and discussions related to chemical engineering fundamentals and their application in solving real-world problems.

Who can submit articles to ChE Fundamentals ISSUES?

Anyone who conducts research in the field of chemical engineering and has made significant contributions to the fundamentals of the discipline can submit articles to ChE Fundamentals ISSUES.

What types of articles are published in ChE Fundamentals ISSUES?

ChE Fundamentals ISSUES publishes research articles, reviews, and discussions covering a wide range of topics related to chemical engineering fundamentals, including thermodynamics, transport phenomena, reaction engineering, and process control.

How is the quality of articles in ChE Fundamentals ISSUES ensured?

All articles submitted to ChE Fundamentals ISSUES undergo a rigorous peer-review process to ensure their scientific validity, originality, and relevance to the journal's scope. The journal also has a team of experienced editors who oversee the review process and make final decisions on publication.

How often is ChE Fundamentals ISSUES published?

ChE Fundamentals ISSUES is a monthly journal, meaning it is published once a month. However, special issues may be published on a different schedule, depending on the availability of articles and the journal's editorial calendar.