• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

ChE to EE?

• Thread starter cheme84
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am a recent grad in ChemE. I was initially focused on biotech as my field but now after some exposure, I do not have any more interest. There are also not alot of jobs for ChemEs in the biotech field especially in the bay area, contrary to what I believed. I do have an interest in nanotech and am wondering what to do to enter that field. Should I go for a masters in EE or CompE? Or should I just get a master's in ChemE but I don't know how that will help me get in the tech industry besides commercial manufacturing which is not what I am interested in. Also, not a lot of manufacturing plants are in the bay area where I want to stay. Any tips?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
I would think that a ChemE + EE double degree could be pretty useful, especially in the chem instrumentation or biomed fields. Have you looked into what a ChE+EE would open up to you? Have you looked into biomed engineering?

It would seem that a key to going that route would be to find a school/prof/internship where you could use both fields at the same time. Have you looked into that?

Should I go for a masters in EE or CompE?
Between these 2, I'd say EE. What about materials science & engineering? Useful for nanotech, and the chemistry classes you already took will help.
besides commercial manufacturing which is not what I am interested in
What do you mean by that? You want to work in industry, but not manufacturing? All of industry is manufacturing in a way or another, including R&D.
Also, not a lot of manufacturing plants are in the bay area where I want to stay
Silicon Valley? Nanotech includes semiconductors too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I guess what I meant by commercial manufacturing was that not a lot of manufacturing is done in California. Even Genentech for whom I work are moving their manufacturing plant to Oregon. And since I want to stay here, I mentioned commercial (large scale) manufacturing. Materials engineering is an option as well. I will definitely look into that.

@berkeman, I could look into biomedical engineering but am not sure about the job outlook currently. I have a friend who finished a BS in biomedical engineering from UC Irvine and has not found a job. He's currently doing a MS in ChemE. I'm also a bit more interested in the technical field of nanotech.

What my main concern is that would doing an MS in EE after having a BS in ChE look good since I am completely changing my field. What also sucks about that choice is that I don't think I will be able to find a company which will pay for me to get an EE degree as I am currently a ChE but I'd rather switch.

What!!! You can do a BEng in ChemE then go on to do a MEng in EE!!!

Genentech? Are they not often rated as one of the best places to work? Are you just not satisfied there? That's like a dream job for alot of people, depending on what type of position you have.