Breaking Into Nanotech: A ChemE's Dilemma

• Thread starter cheme84
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is a recent graduate in Chemical Engineering (ChemE) and initially had interest in biotech but after some exposure, has lost interest and is now considering a career in nanotechnology. They are wondering if they should pursue a master's degree in Electrical Engineering (EE) or Computer Engineering (CompE), or stick with a master's in ChemE. They are also concerned about job opportunities in the bay area and are seeking tips. The conversation also mentioned the possibility of a double degree in ChemE and EE and the potential for a career in biomedical engineering. The individual is hesitant about pursuing a master's in EE due to the change in field and the potential lack of financial support from companies. However, it is suggested that
cheme84
I am a recent grad in ChemE. I was initially focused on biotech as my field but now after some exposure, I do not have any more interest. There are also not a lot of jobs for ChemEs in the biotech field especially in the bay area, contrary to what I believed. I do have an interest in nanotech and am wondering what to do to enter that field. Should I go for a masters in EE or CompE? Or should I just get a master's in ChemE but I don't know how that will help me get in the tech industry besides commercial manufacturing which is not what I am interested in. Also, not a lot of manufacturing plants are in the bay area where I want to stay. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that a ChemE + EE double degree could be pretty useful, especially in the chem instrumentation or biomed fields. Have you looked into what a ChE+EE would open up to you? Have you looked into biomed engineering?

It would seem that a key to going that route would be to find a school/prof/internship where you could use both fields at the same time. Have you looked into that?

cheme84 said:
Should I go for a masters in EE or CompE?
Between these 2, I'd say EE. What about materials science & engineering? Useful for nanotech, and the chemistry classes you already took will help.
besides commercial manufacturing which is not what I am interested in
What do you mean by that? You want to work in industry, but not manufacturing? All of industry is manufacturing in a way or another, including R&D.
Also, not a lot of manufacturing plants are in the bay area where I want to stay
Silicon Valley? Nanotech includes semiconductors too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I guess what I meant by commercial manufacturing was that not a lot of manufacturing is done in California. Even Genentech for whom I work are moving their manufacturing plant to Oregon. And since I want to stay here, I mentioned commercial (large scale) manufacturing. Materials engineering is an option as well. I will definitely look into that.

@berkeman, I could look into biomedical engineering but am not sure about the job outlook currently. I have a friend who finished a BS in biomedical engineering from UC Irvine and has not found a job. He's currently doing a MS in ChemE. I'm also a bit more interested in the technical field of nanotech.

What my main concern is that would doing an MS in EE after having a BS in ChE look good since I am completely changing my field. What also sucks about that choice is that I don't think I will be able to find a company which will pay for me to get an EE degree as I am currently a ChE but I'd rather switch.

What! You can do a BEng in ChemE then go on to do a MEng in EE!

Genentech? Are they not often rated as one of the best places to work? Are you just not satisfied there? That's like a dream job for a lot of people, depending on what type of position you have.

What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is the science and engineering of manipulating matter at the nanoscale, which is about 1 to 100 nanometers. This field involves controlling and understanding the properties of materials at the atomic and molecular level, and has applications in various industries such as medicine, electronics, and energy.

What is the role of a ChemE in nanotechnology?

Chemical engineers play a crucial role in the development of nanotechnology. They use their knowledge of chemistry, physics, and engineering to design and create new materials at the nanoscale. They also work on improving processes for manufacturing and scaling up nanomaterials for commercial use.

What challenges do ChemEs face in breaking into the nanotech industry?

One of the main challenges for ChemEs in entering the nanotech industry is the lack of specific coursework or training in nanotechnology during their undergraduate studies. They may also face competition from other fields such as materials science and electrical engineering, which have a more established presence in the field of nanotechnology.

What skills do ChemEs need to have for a career in nanotechnology?

Chemical engineers interested in a career in nanotechnology should have a strong foundation in chemistry, physics, and math. They should also have skills in data analysis, problem-solving, and critical thinking. Familiarity with computer-aided design (CAD) software and experience with lab techniques such as microscopy and spectroscopy can also be beneficial.

What opportunities are available for ChemEs in the nanotech industry?

Chemical engineers can find job opportunities in various sectors of the nanotech industry, including research and development, manufacturing, quality control, and product development. They can also work in interdisciplinary teams with scientists and engineers from other fields to develop new nanomaterials and technologies.