Cheap food

• Thread starter haxtor21
  • Start date
Evo
Mentor
Potatoes are excellent, I couldn't eat them raw though. :yuck:

Oignons too, which can be eaten raw :uhh: Rght here in the Netherlands oignons are about as cheap as potatoes.

turbo
Gold Member
This weekend, my wife will make ox-tail soup. It should be about the cheapest stew-meat available, but due to demand and limited supply (only one tail per critter) the prices are competitive with nicer cuts.

You can get some Moringa (Moringa oleifera) leaves, you just need to buy the tree, or some leaf powder. It is used in countries with malnutrition. That will keep you alive for a long time.

Other than that, seeds like Linseed (Flaxseed) or any superfood are packed with nutritions and some of them might even be cheap, depending on your location and the availability of the plant.

Subway/Quizno's/Chipotle. A single burrito or a footlong sub will provide all the nutrition you need for a day, and almost all the calories, at the cost of $150 to $200 a month. You will need to cut it in half, of course. Supplement with ramen noodles to 1500-2000 calories a day.

Speaking of Chipotle, in many places there are authentic Mexican hole-in-a-wall restaurants catering to day laborers & such, they will be cheaper than that.

Evo
Mentor
Subway/Quizno's/Chipotle. A single burrito or a footlong sub will provide all the nutrition you need for a day, and almost all the calories, at the cost of $150 to $200 a month. You will need to cut it in half, of course. Supplement with ramen noodles to 1500-2000 calories a day.

Speaking of Chipotle, in many places there are authentic Mexican hole-in-a-wall restaurants catering to day laborers & such, they will be cheaper than that.
Walmart has incredible 2 pound subs for $4.95, it's almost all cheese and meat. They're made fresh daily, I highly recommend them.

Dembadon
Gold Member
Walmart has incredible 2 pound subs for $4.95, it's almost all cheese and meat. They're made fresh daily, I highly recommend them.

The last one I ate had American cheese on it! :yuck:

There should be laws against that.

Evo
Mentor
The last one I ate had American cheese on it! :yuck:

There should be laws against that.
I buy the Italian sub with provolone.

Dembadon
Gold Member
I buy the Italian sub with provolone.

That's more up my alley. I'm definitely a cheese snob.

If you like cheese, then stuffing bell peppers with just about anything and adding shredded cheese on top is both nutritious and cheap (depending on what you stuff it with)

turbo
Gold Member
If you like cheese, then stuffing bell peppers with just about anything and adding shredded cheese on top is both nutritious and cheap (depending on what you stuff it with)
I'm pretty fond of hamburg/bread stuffing (like a seasoned meatball) topped with tomato sauce and cheese.

I would consider stuffing bell peppers with chopped tomatoes, basil and dill (all fresh from the garden) with melted cheese topping.

Evo
Mentor
Isn't he going to be living out of his car?

As far as I'm aware, yes. And with $1000 to last 6/7 months.

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
As far as I'm aware, yes. And with $1000 to last 6/7 months.

If that was only for food, it wouldn't be a problem -- that's over $4/day. (I was able to do a month on ~$1.10 per day for food fairly recently.) But covering everything the OP will need, not just food... that's going to be tough.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
(I was able to do a month on ~$1.10 per day for food fairly recently.)
Pray, tell?

Evo
Mentor
Pray, tell?
That's eleven 2 serving packages of ramen noodles, they're 10 cents a package. Zero nutritional value though, but high calorie.