Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cheap Infrared Camera

1. Nov 21, 2006 #1
    I need a super cheap (under $30ish) infrared camera for detecting human body heat to confirm the presence of the person, i.e. it doesn't have to record exact temperatures or create clear images, but just record the presence of the person. No visible camera is needed, just infrared. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

sphoenixee

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's no way you'll be able to get a thermal vision (long-wave IR) camera for under $30. :rolleyes: I suggest looking into night vision or low-lux cameras instead.

4. Nov 21, 2006 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Do you need images, or is an IR sensor adequate? Many can be had quite inexpensively.

5. Nov 21, 2006 #4

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most black and white stuff will go into the near infrared. Stick a filter on the lens, and you may be in buisness.

6. Nov 21, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

If you don't need any image, how about a motion detector from an alarm system or automatic floodlight?

7. Nov 21, 2006 #6

turbo

Gold Member

That's what I was thinking about, too. There are some battery-powered sensors in automatic sprinklers that make a heck of a racket to scare deer out of your garden. Have a Hart sells them for less than $30, and you can dial down the sensitivity to ignore small signals and trigger on the big ones (people, deer, dogs). You even get a built-in 8-second reset, so if you want the sensor to trigger to do something once, you don't get multiple triggers with a persistent presence.

8. Nov 21, 2006 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Right. And those stupid yodelling fish and talking skulls and crap like that all use cheap IR proximity sensors.

9. Nov 23, 2006 #8
    First, thanks to everyone for all the responses and sorry for my late response.

I think an IR sensor would be enough for my purposes. A motion sensor would not work as I need the sensor to only detect people and not boxes/bags/other large objects. To clarify further, I only need it to detect people and nothing else, and I also need it to have a somewhat wide angle, 40 deg and up, as well as a max range of roughly 1 meter. The IR sensors in the skulls/fish sound very good.

Can anyone recommend me either a website or a product with a link?

----

turbo-1, I tried googling have a Hart, but couldn't find any of their IR sensors. Found some traps tho, and also this forum :smile:

What do you mean by sticking a filter on the lens?

Once more, many thanks to all for the responses,

sphoenixee

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  10. Nov 23, 2006 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Sphoenixee, the motion detectors from modern alarm systems don't simply detect motion. It has to be a moving heat source that crosses two or more 'fingers' of the sensor grid. Still, that would appear to be more elaborate and expensive than you need.
    As for finding the fish, pretty much any really cheesy novelty store or small-Hickville hardware store probably has them. In case there was any ambiguity, what I'm referring to is "Billy the Bigmouth Bass" or one of its many imitators. If you do use one, please take pictures; I'd love to watch someone rip the guts out of one of those irritating little bastards. I'd even more love to just mail you the one that W has hanging in our entry hall, but she'd skin me. :grumpy: (At least she has sense enough to not put batteries in it.)

11. Nov 23, 2006 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This came up a while back.

Remove the filter from the front of a webcam.

Hey presto.

12. Nov 23, 2006 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Quiet, Brewnog. :grumpy:
    I want to watch him mutilate that bass.

:biggrin:

13. Nov 25, 2006 #12
    Thanks danger and brewmog. I'll your suggestions. lol mutilating basses...

14. Nov 25, 2006 #13
    Actually, it's usually a case of taking out a filter. A lot of webcams have a filter to filter out infra-red, which you can take out.

EDIT: I was beat to it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?