Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cheap Laptop, such a thing?

1. Jul 28, 2006 #1
    I want a cheap laptop to collect data with. Cheap like, $500.00 or less.

Has anyone bought a computer from Ebay?

Is it worth the risk?

Does anyone want to sell me their laptop, or give me it for free? :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2006 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jul 28, 2006 #3
    Hey, thats great!

Thanks Monique :smile:

I have a wireless network in my house, so I have an external hard drive that I can network to, and a printer. So the laptop does not need to be fancy.

5. Jul 28, 2006 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I bought my laptop from ebay, when it arrived it did not work :grumpy:
    but as kias man works with computers i had an engieers report to
    back my claim, i recieved my money back and got laptop fixed for nowt :rofl:

6. Jul 28, 2006 #5
    Can you be more specific on what kind of hardware you want? Maybe we can suggest something that's not a Dell.

7. Jul 28, 2006 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Be careful. The laptop specials I have seen are OK, but they chince you on the RAM and the displays. If this is for your DAQ project and you want to run Matlab, you may want to double check the requirements.

8. Jul 28, 2006 #7
    I'm not doing anything iterative, so I dont need a fast PC. Not using it for games either. Just data collection. And I like dell. I have a lot of stuff by Dell, and it all works great.

9. Jul 28, 2006 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I've bought several at computer shows. The one I bought for my company recently has a P3 processor and 15" screen. It cost about $250. The only downside is that with a used laptop, odds are that the battery will be near completely useless. I would be concerned about physical damage and dead pixels on the screen if I weren't able to handle the computer before buying it.

10. Jul 28, 2006 #9
    It's worth the risk if you know what you're doing. I bought mine from ebay.

11. Jul 28, 2006 #10
    Cyrus, I'd greatly suggest you try craiglist for Washington DC, or wherever you live. It's almost like ebay. Maybe a little worse deals, but you can still find some handsome laptops for less than $500. When you find what you want or somebody makes you an offer, you can just meet with a person and test whether everything works just fine. Look here, http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...aptop&catAbbreviation=sys&minAsk=0&maxAsk=500
    and if you didn't find something satisfying, then simply make an offer right in, for a good working laptop, if wash's similar to nyc, and it should be, then you'll get several offers from people who want to sell their laptops. Try it, there's a lot of good stuff on craiglists.

12. Jul 28, 2006 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cyrus, how long are your typical DAQ runs? Are you not worried about OS stability or do you plan to partition your drive and run your DAQ off of Linux?

13. Jul 28, 2006 #12
    It's only like a 10 min run at most. That's as long as the $200.00 LiPoly Battery will last!

14. Jul 28, 2006 #13
    I am sifting through craigslist. Thanks Heartless. I am still skeptical. I prefer to buy my electronics new.

15. Jul 28, 2006 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wehn buying from ebay, you can usually trust the re-resale/refurbish people who have a long list of positive feedback. With individuals, there's no telling what you get, but there is some protection with paypal.

16. Jul 28, 2006 #15
  17. Jul 28, 2006 #16
  18. Jul 28, 2006 #17
    :rofl:

This is great, I am charging Li-Poly batteries, which VERY easily can catch on fire and burn your house down, and trying to prevent that with a laptop that will burn my house down!!!

:rofl:

the Irony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My next posts will be form the public library.

I bet that laptop has Li-poly batteries as well.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  19. Jul 28, 2006 #18

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

COOL! keep your camera handy and keep us toasted.

I mean posted.

20. Jul 29, 2006 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's great, I hope it'll fit your needs. It's a coincidence that just a few days earlier I had been talking about laptops and heard Dell had some crazy prices :smile:

21. Jul 29, 2006 #20

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I actually just ordered a new Dell laptop a few days ago (should be here early next week). My HP died. :frown: :devil:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?