Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cheap Piezoelectric Generator

1. Dec 15, 2012 #1
    With a budget of less than $100, does anyone have an idea on how to make a cheap piezoelectric generator using materials found at home?
    (aluminum foil, wire, battery, and a silicon swim cap maybe?)

I plan to modify this generator to then integrate it inside a bike tire so that whenever I ride, I can generate some electricity (for my phone perhaps).

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2012 #2
    I have always wanted to take apart one of those shoes that children wear that flashes a LED.
    Why don't you take one of these shoes apart and let us know what's inside.

4. Dec 16, 2012 #3
    The skechers kids shoes? There's a battery inside, not quite what the OP is looking for I don't think. ;)

5. Dec 16, 2012 #4

vk6kro

Science Advisor

There are piezo electric generators in gas hot water systems and gas barbeques, but they generate thousands of volts and give very little current, so they are not going to be much use for battery charging.

They work by hitting a piezoelectric crystal, so you could get less voltage by not hitting it so hard, but you would get less current as well.

6. Dec 17, 2012 #5
    I believe some of those shoe companies use piezoelectric materials. I'll have to look into that.

7. Dec 19, 2012 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook