Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(cheapest or free site) to upload .doc, .txt, .pdf, .xls. .ppt files for sharing

1. Jan 22, 2010 #1

rhody

Gold Member

I hope this post goes here, if not I apologize, admin's feel free to move it if needed.

I need a place to store files listed in the title above where I can get link(s) for posting to forums, share with friends, etc... I use tinypic for posting pictures, and that works fine, but I need a place to share document files

I have looked into the new Google share feature (through gmail) that allows this and prefer to stay away from this method.

I did a fairly thorough search before posting this, both here and through google.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rhody...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: (cheapest or free site) to upload .doc, .txt, .pdf, .xls. .ppt files for sharing.

Dropbox.com

Their site explains it in detail but -
    1, Create an account,
    2, Download some software - creates a fodler on your machine, anythign in that folder gets synced (copied) with their server.
    3, In this is a 'public' folder, anything you put in there you can give somebody a web link to for them to download.
    The link is per-file and is randomised (they can't guess the link to any other file - they aren't browsable)

It's free for 2Gb of storage and about $5/month for unlimited
    You can also use a web browser (with your user/passwd) to access your stuff from another machine.

4. Feb 20, 2010 #3

rhody

Gold Member

Re: (cheapest or free site) to upload .doc, .txt, .pdf, .xls. .ppt files for sharing.

Dear mgb_phys,

Thanks for the info, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, from another unrelated post here on PF I ran across this: 2shared and the site appears to allow uploads of doc, excel, pdf files that I wanted.

What you you think ?

Rhody...

5. Feb 24, 2010 #4

rhody

Gold Member

I tried www.2shared.com and it appears to work as advertised, allows you to upload all the file types I need (listed in title above), provides a secure link to download, password, protection, and the ability to delete the uploaded file if you so desire. You can add a comment, and publisher's name or email.

It is a little clunky to use, but will allow users to attach documents to posts much larger than are allowed on the PF forum.

You need to keep a copy of the download and admin links safe somewhere for future reference as ease of finding the file(s) you uploaded.

I recently posted two .pdf files in a thread because they exceeded the maximum size limit, so this will help in the future. Try it and see if it works for you

Rhody...

6. Feb 25, 2010 #5

http://www.webasyst.net/

Though the capacity is very limited, it has VERY long host time. i.e the link wont expire.

7. Jan 9, 2012 #6

I just tried Webasyst... simple awesome.. have all the features which I was missing in dropbox and box including customizing the links.

The drawbacks were: only 100 mb of space. Larger links. But I'm happy with it :)

8. Jan 9, 2012 #7

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

I've used DropBox before it's pretty easy. I know there was some security problems in the past though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?