Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cheating in the game

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    Cheating in the game :)

I play this game, Minecraft, and I have to find a place called stronghold, which can only be found by throwing "eye of enders" in the air, that go in the direction of where the stronghold is hidden. The only problem is, those eyes are very rare and difficult to get, so I thought something about this: by throwing only 2 ender eyes, I can get the coordinates of the stronghold. The picture might be more understandable. You guys think this can be done by using trigonometry? What formula should I use?? :)

Thanks in advance,
    Nexor.

EDIT: x3,y3 would be the stronghold's location. :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2
    Re: Cheating in the game :)

If you can think of a way to measure angles using minecraft, it would be possible using the very simple law of sines. But I don't think the eye of enders give you any measures of angles or distances.

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why even throw two? Just continue in the direction given by the first until you get to the right place. Yes, if it is invisible or hard to see even when you are on top of it, "triangulating" like that will give the position to look.

Since you know two angles and two angles, you can find the third: [itex]180- \theta_1- \theta_2[/itex]. And then, knowing one distance (between the two points where you "throw the eyes") you can use the sine law:
    [tex]\frac{a}{sin(A)}= \frac{b}{sin(B)}= \frac{c}{sin(C)}[/tex]
    to find the other two lengths.

But that is assuming your directions are perfect. If there is even a slight error in your angles, the result may be well off.

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4

Thanks guys! That's the formula I wanted! :) thank you! :D Now I can get to the stronghold :DDD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook