Votes: 3 8.1%
  • False

Votes: 34 91.9%

• Total voters
DaveC426913
Gold Member
10 chars

Answers and Replies

Of course it's cheating if you don't get caught what the heck kinda question is that? If you think it IS only cheating if you get caught then why you in a relationship in the first place???

EDIT: Waaaiiit I assumed that this had to do with relationships :rofl:. My answer still stands if it was cheating on a test or cheating anything else. That's why it's still called cheating...

Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Any particular reason for this poll?

Cheating is cheating, no matter if you get caught or not. The moon is there even when I'm not looking! XD

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's a reaction to another thread where people seem to be supporting the screwball notion that it's only cheating if you get caught or you hurt yourself.

It's a reaction to another thread where people seem to be supporting the screwball notion that it's only cheating if you get caught or you hurt yourself.

Weird, so to them the statement 'I cheated but thankfully, I didn't get caught' doesn't exist?? I don't get it... If there are specific rules set out to limit an advantage, or ability and you around, or through those rules then you are cheating. It has nothing to do with being caught or not...

Do you believe that or is this just semantics?

Do you believe that or is this just semantics?

is this directed at me or the OP?

Dembadon
Gold Member
The definitions of the word are satisfied whether or not one gets caught.

Oxford says:

cheat | ch ēt|
verb

1 [ intrans. ] act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, esp. in a game or examination : she always cheats at cards.
• [ trans. ] deceive or trick : he had cheated her out of everything she had.
• use inferior materials or methods unobtrusively in order to save time or money : they cheat by photographing mashed potatoes instead of ice cream.
informal be sexually unfaithful : his wife was cheating on him.

2 [ trans. ] avoid (something undesirable) by luck or skill : she cheated death in a spectacular crash.
archaic help (time) pass : the tuneless rhyme with which the warder cheats the time.

noun
a person who behaves dishonestly in order to gain an advantage : a liar and a cheat.
• an act of cheating; a fraud or deception.

I voted false.

Last edited:
I voted false.

In an academic setting where the idea is to test individual candidates on an even playing field. Then yes most definately 'cheating' is cheating and you should be kicked in the arse for it.

However i've acutally learned a few things in the real world. If it explicitly states you can't do it, you can't do it. If it's not explicity stated, and you find an advantage over your rivals by explaiting a grey area that thats fine.

Who voted true that's what I want to know...

Cheating is a choice. More often than not, cheating pays off. But in the interest of equidistance and fairness an instructor should be completely intolerant of a cheater who got caught.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
It's amazing how there are many many people who do believe this is true.

It's probably nothing else than cognitive dissonance. Some cheaters feel a internal conflict after cheating, and they solve it by changing the beleifs about the act of cheating.

It's only the most visible side. Other ppl who cheat once may solve they conflict by changing the attitude toward cheating, and never do it again. This is less visible.

So, it's no screwball. It's human nature.

All this becomes fairly irrelevant if a person looks at cheating simply as a unfair advantage which pays off as long as you don't get caught. This is an equilibrium, they do no fool themselves cheating is not what it is, but they acknowledge they can get a very big pay-off if they can get away with it. So it becomes a risk taking issue.

Let me get this straight are we talking about cheating? Or Cheating? I'm not totally sure what one we are talking about here.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

They are called "Politicians."

C'mon. You were all thinking it. All I did was say it.

OW! quit it quit it. OW!

Actually I voted true :) Figured someone had too.

is this directed at me or the OP?

No, to the guy who thinks cheating is not cheating unless he gets caught. I thought that was the OP, but apparently not.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
drizzle
Gold Member
:rofl: I like that

Cheating is cheating weither you get caught or not :tongue:

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
They only voted true if we catch them...
Actually I voted true :) Figured someone had too.
...Aha!

The moon is there even when I'm not looking! XD

you can't prove that scientifically, though.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
you can't prove that scientifically, though.

Of course he can. He need only ask me, who was watching when he wasn't.