1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chebyshev Polynomial Problem

1. May 27, 2015 #1
    This is something Chebyshev polynomial problems. I need to show that:

##\sum_{r=0}^{n}T_{2r}(x)=\frac{1}{2}\big ( 1+\frac{U_{2n+1}(x)}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\big )##

by using two type of solution :
    ##T_n(x)=\cos(n \cos^{-1}x)## and ##U_n(x)=\sin(n \cos^{-1}x)## with ##x=\cos\theta##,

I have form the complex superposition:

##T_n(x)+iU_n(x)=(x+i\sqrt{1-x^2})^n##

and expand it by binomial theorem to get :

##T_n(x)=x^n-\dbinom{n}{2}x^{n-2}(1-x^2)+\dbinom{n}{4}x^{n-4}(1-x^2)^2-...##

and

##U_n(x)=\sqrt{1-x^2}\big[ \dbinom{n}{1}x^{n-1}-\dbinom{n}{3}(1-x^2)+... \big]##

I try to change ##T_n(x)## to ##T_{2r}(x)## and ##U_n(x)## to ##U_{2n+1}(x)##, but still stuck and can't solve the problem.

Any one can help solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note that ##\sum_{r=0}^n T_{2r}(x) = \sum_{r=0}^n \cos(2 r \theta)##, where ##x = \cos(\theta)##. Can you evaluate that last summation?

4. May 28, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your respond. I've made it by choosing an arbitrary ##n## and then evaluate both ##\sum_{r=0}^n T_{2r}(x)## and ##U_{2n+1}(x)##, for example ##n=1##, and, voila... :woot:

5. May 29, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you evaluate ##\sum_{r=0}^n T_{2r}(x)##? For example, are you able to evaluate this for ##n = 10,000## or ##n = 5,000,000##? The problem requires that you do it for all possible finite values of ##n##.

6. May 29, 2015 #5
    I see mr. that's my problem actually. But for accomplishing an assignment in the short of time, I fall to just using a deductive reasoning.
    Well, let use your advice, so
    ##\sum_{r=0}^n T_{2r}(x)=\sum_{r=0}^n\cos(2r\theta)=1+\cos(2\theta)+\cos(4\theta)+...+\cos(2n\theta)##
    Then... Can't see the pattern.

7. May 29, 2015 #6
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  8. May 29, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

See. eg., http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Cosine.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted