Chebyshev System Proof: Examining Roots

• Thread starter dirk_mec1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary: Therefore, the set given is a Chebyshev system. In summary, we have proven that the set \{1, x, x^2, \cdots, x^n, x \log(x), \cdots, x^m \log(x)\}, n \geq m is a Chebyshev system on [a,b].
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

Show that the following system is a chebyshev system:

[tex]
\{1, x, x^2, \cdots, x^n, x \log(x), \cdots, x^m \log(x)\}, n \geq m
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The set of [tex]
\{f_1, \cdots, f_n\}
[/tex] is a chebyshev system on [a,b] if the linear combination [tex]
\sum_{i=1}^n \alpha_i f_i
[/tex] has at most n-1 roots with [tex]
(\alpha_1, \cdots, \alpha_n) \neq (0, \cdots, 0)
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Look at the collection of functions without the logs then if it's evaluated for [itex] \{ x_i \}_1^n[/itex] then we get a van der monde matrix:

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 & \cdots & 1 \\
x_1 & x_1^2 & \cdots & x_1^n \\
\vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\
x_{n+1} & \cdots & \cdots & x_{n+1}^n
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

the determinant isn't equal to zero.

Now I need to prove that there are no [itex]\beta_i [/itex] such that:

[tex]
\log(x) (\gamma_1 x + \gamma_2 x^2 +...+ \gamma_m x^m) = \beta_1 x + \beta_2 x^2 +...+\beta_m x^m + \beta_{m+1} x^{m+1}+...+\beta_n x^n\ \forall\ x \in (0,1)
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the solution is that there are no such \beta_i because we don't have any degree higher than m in the equation, so the only way to get a degree higher than m would be to multiply by x^k for some k > 0, but then the left side of the equation would have a log and the right side wouldn't so it would be impossible to make them equal. Is this correct?Yes, your solution is correct. The fact that there are no terms with higher degree on the left-hand side of the equation implies that there can be no solution for the coefficients.

1. How does the Chebyshev system proof work?

The Chebyshev system proof is a mathematical proof used to examine the roots of a polynomial equation. It works by using the properties of Chebyshev polynomials, which are a special type of polynomial with unique properties that make them useful for this type of proof.

2. What is the significance of studying the roots of a polynomial equation?

Studying the roots of a polynomial equation can provide insights into the behavior and properties of the equation. It can also help in solving the equation and understanding its solutions.

3. Can the Chebyshev system proof be used for any type of polynomial equation?

Yes, the Chebyshev system proof can be used for any polynomial equation, regardless of its degree or the coefficients involved. However, it is most commonly used for equations with real coefficients.

4. Are there any limitations to the Chebyshev system proof?

While the Chebyshev system proof is a powerful tool for examining polynomial equations, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for real polynomial equations, and it may not provide all the solutions to an equation.

5. How is the Chebyshev system proof different from other methods of examining roots?

The Chebyshev system proof is a unique method that uses the properties of Chebyshev polynomials to examine the roots of an equation. It is different from other methods such as factoring or using the quadratic formula, which rely on specific techniques for solving equations.