1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chebyshev's theorem problem

1. Sep 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How many times do we have to flip a balanced coin to be able to assert with a probability of at most .01 that the difference between the proportion of tails and .50 will be at least .04?

2. Relevant equations
    P( |X-μ| ≥ kσ ) ≤ 1/k^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I am very confused about how to use this theorem. So far I have only managed to figure out bits and pieces.
    I know that
    P ≤ .01 = 1/k^2 so
    k^2 = 1/.01 = 100
    k = 10

also μ = np and since the coin is balanced, p = 1/2 so
    μ = n/2
    also σ^2 = np(1-p) = n/2(1/2) = n/4
    so σ = sqrt(n)/2

plugging this all into the inequality I get

P( |X-n/2| ≥ (10)(sqrt(n)/2) ) ≤ .01

P( |X-n/2| ≥ (5)sqrt(n) ) ≤ .01

But I am still confused about what this means or how I can solve for n (which is what I think I need to be solving for.) please help :(

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2015 #2
    The random variable X is the proportion of flips that are tails, not the number of tails. Thus mu= 0.5 not n/2 and sigma = sqrt (p(1-p)/n). Try again using these.

4. Sep 27, 2015 #3
    Now things are starting to make sense, thank you so much.
    so
    μ = 1/2
    and σ = 1/sqrt(2n)

The inequality becomes
    P( |X-1/2| ≥ 10/sqrt(2n) ) ≤ .01
    so

10/sqrt(2n) = .04

10/.04 = sqrt(2n)

250 = sqrt(2n)

62500 = 2n

n = 31250

5. Sep 27, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is just as easy to continue using X = number of tails, but to write the desired condition correctly. You want to know the probability of the event
    [tex] \left\{ \left| \frac{X}{n} - \frac{1}{2} \right| > .04 \right\} [/tex]
    Using ##\mu = n/2, \sigma = (1/2) \sqrt{n}## we can re-write the event above is the same as
    [tex] \{ |X - \mu| > 0.04\, n \} = \{ |X - \mu| > 0.08 \sqrt{n} \; (1/2) \sqrt{n} \} = \{ |X - \mu| > 0.08 \sqrt{n} \: \sigma \} [/tex]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  6. Sep 27, 2015 #5
    oops i think i made a mistake.

would it be σ = 1/(2sqrt(n))

instead of

σ = 1/sqrt(2n) ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted