1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chebyshev's theorem

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    1. do bonds reduce the overall risk of an investment portfolio? let x be a random variable representing annual % return for Vangaurd Total Stock Index (all stocks). Let y be a random variable representing annual return for Vangaurd Balanced Index(60% stock and 40% bond). For the past several years we have the following data.

x: 11 0 36 21 31 23 24 -11 -11 -21
    y: 10 -2 29 14 22 18 14 -2 -3 -10

a.) Compare Ex, Ex2, Ey and Ey2 (2 = squared)

b.) use results in part (a) to compute the sample mean, variance, and standard deviation for x and for y.

c.) Compute a 75 % Chebyshev interval about the mean for x values and also for y values. Use interval to compare funds.

I was able to do part a & b but have no idea what they want for c. i do have the answer but i am not sure what they used to get the answer.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What is a Chebyshev interval?

4. Feb 26, 2010 #3

statdad

Homework Helper

There are two possibilities - I'm not sure what level of work you're at.

First (and simplest): how many standard deviations around the mean does chebyshev's theorem say you must go to include 75% of the data values? (remember chebychev's theorem says the percentage of values between [tex] \bar x \pm ks [/tex] is at least
    [tex] 1 - {1}/{k^2}[/tex].

Second (and more complicated) is the idea discussed at the following link:
    http://www.quantdec.com/envstats/notes/class_12/ucl.htm

I'm guessing it is option 1 you need to use.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook