Optimize Your Math Skills: Limits, Extrema, and Linear Approximations

• Thread starter UWMpanther
  • Start date
In summary, you have correctly solved the problems and provided clear explanations for each step. For part c, there is also a maximum value for g(x) at x=0. For part e, it would be helpful to explain why f(x) ≥ L(x) is true. Overall, great job!
UWMpanther
a. lim(tanx • lnx)
x-> 0+

I got lim = 0

b. lim x^1/x
x->infinity

I got lim = 1

c. Find (if possible) the maximum and minimum values of g(x) = x^2 + 1/x^2 for x>0. Clearly show that you have found the extrema.

I found; no maximum value and g(1)=2 for my minimum.

d. Use Newton's method to estimate the solution of the equation sinhx = 1-x. Display the rationale for your initial approximation and the Newton iteration formula for this particular problem.

x_n+1_= Xn - f(x)/f'(x)

X1=0
X2=.5
X3=.490085
X4=.490073

e. Show that for every number a, the linear approximation L(x) to the function f(x) = x^2 at a satisfies f(x) ≥ L(x). [Hint: Construct L(x) at an arbitrary a-value, then determine the sign of the difference f(x) - L(x).]

my work:
L(x) (approx) = f(a) +f'(a)(x-a)
= a^2 + 2a(x-a)
Substitute 0 in for a
= 0^2 + 2(0)(x-0)
L(x)=x
Therefore f(x) ≥ L(x)
x^2 ≥ x

Thanks a bunch.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! As a fellow scientist, I would like to provide some feedback on your forum post.

a. Your answer for lim(tanx • lnx) as x approaches 0+ is correct, it is equal to 0. This is because both tanx and lnx approach 0 as x approaches 0+.

b. Your answer for lim x^1/x as x approaches infinity is also correct, it is equal to 1. This is because as x gets larger and larger, x^1/x approaches 1.

c. For part c, you have correctly found the minimum value of g(x) to be 2 at x=1. However, there is also a maximum value for g(x) at x=0, where g(x) is undefined. This is because as x approaches 0 from the positive side, x^2 becomes smaller and smaller while 1/x^2 becomes larger and larger, resulting in a maximum value for g(x).

d. Your work for using Newton's method to estimate the solution of sinhx = 1-x is correct. Your initial approximation of x=0 is a good choice because it is close to the actual solution of x=0.490073. The Newton iteration formula is also correct.

e. Your approach for proving that f(x) ≥ L(x) is correct. However, it would be helpful to explain why f(x) ≥ L(x) is true. This is because the linear approximation L(x) is always an underestimate of the function f(x) near the point a. Therefore, f(x) will always be greater than or equal to L(x) at any point x.

I hope this helps and keep up the good work!

What is the purpose of checking answers to my problems?

The purpose of checking answers to your problems is to ensure that your solutions are correct and to identify any mistakes that may have been made during the problem-solving process. It allows you to verify your understanding of the concepts and methods used in solving the problem.

How do I check my answers to problems in a scientific manner?

To check your answers to problems in a scientific manner, you should follow a systematic approach. This includes double-checking your calculations, using relevant formulas and equations, and referencing reliable sources for information.

What should I do if my answers do not match the correct solutions?

If your answers do not match the correct solutions, you should review your work and look for any errors that may have been made. It is also helpful to seek assistance from a peer or instructor to identify and correct any mistakes.

Is it important to check my answers to problems?

Yes, it is important to check your answers to problems. This ensures that your solutions are accurate and reliable. It also helps to strengthen your problem-solving skills and reinforce your understanding of the material.

What are some common mistakes to watch out for when checking answers to problems?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when checking answers to problems include calculation errors, using incorrect formulas or equations, and misinterpreting data or information. It is also important to be aware of any potential rounding or unit conversion errors.