Calculating Amplitude in Standard Model

In summary, the question asks if the calculation of the amplitude for a process in the Standard Model is correct. The three contributing diagrams at lowest order are shown, with the middle one lacking a quartic interaction vertex between two Higgs bosons. The calculation is shown and confirmed to be correct, with the correction that the third term should include a factor of $\lambda$ in the numerator due to the exchange of a single Higgs boson between fermions.
ultrapoci
Homework Statement
Draw the Feynman diagrams contributing to the process ##\mu^+ \mu^- \rightarrow H + H## at the lowest electroweak order and calculate the squared amplitude
Relevant Equations
Vertex of the Feynman diagrams between two fermions and the Higgs boson is ##i\frac{m}{v}##, and the triple interaction vertex of the Higgs boson is ##i \lambda v## where ##m## is the muon's mass, ##v## is the vacuum expectation value of the Higgs boson, and ##\lambda## is its coupling constant.
Hi! I'd like to ask you if my calculation of the amplitude on the mentioned process in the Standard Model is correct. The three diagrams contributing at lowest order should be
1637926237606.png

where in the middle one the two Higgs boson are NOT forming a quartic interaction vertex.
My attempt at calculating the (not yet squared) amplitude is this: $$A = \bar{v}(p_2) \left( \frac{im}{v} \frac{i}{\gamma^\mu(p_1-p_3)_\mu} \frac{im}{v} + \frac{im}{v} \frac{i}{\gamma^\mu(p_1-p_4)_\mu} \frac{im}{v} + \frac{im}{v} \frac{i}{q^2 - M_H^2 +i\Gamma_H M_H} i \lambda v \right) u(p_1)$$ Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!Yes, that is correct. However, note that the third term should include a factor of $\lambda$ in the numerator (i.e., it should be $\frac{im\lambda}{v}\frac{i}{q^2 - M_H^2 +i\Gamma_H M_H}i\lambda v$). This is because this term corresponds to the exchange of a single Higgs boson between the two fermions, and thus the vertex should include a factor of $\lambda$.

1. What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory in physics that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions that make up our universe. It is considered the most successful and accurate theory to date, explaining the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales.

2. How is amplitude calculated in the Standard Model?

Amplitude in the Standard Model is calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the properties of the particles involved and the interactions between them. This can be a complex process, but it allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of particles in various situations.

3. What is the significance of calculating amplitude in the Standard Model?

Calculating amplitude in the Standard Model allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of particles and their interactions in a variety of situations. This is crucial for developing new technologies and advancing our understanding of the universe.

4. Can amplitude be measured experimentally?

Yes, amplitude can be measured experimentally through various particle physics experiments. These experiments involve colliding particles at high energies and measuring the resulting interactions, which can provide information about the amplitude of the particles involved.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating amplitude in the Standard Model?

While the Standard Model is highly successful, it does have limitations. It does not currently account for gravity, and there are still unanswered questions about the behavior of certain particles, such as dark matter. Scientists are continually working to improve and expand the Standard Model to better understand the universe.