Integrate and Evaluate Vector Functions | Circle and Straight Line Paths

• Thread starter thenewbosco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the individual correctly evaluated the two given integrals: 1) \int d\overarrow{r} around the circle C represented by x^2 + y^2 = a^2, and 2) \int \overarrow{f} \cdot d\overarrow{r} from (0,0,0) to (1,1,1) along a) a straight line connecting these points and b) a path from (0,0,0) to (1,0,0) to (1,1,0) to (1,1,1). They also provided an explanation for the incorrect answer in the first integral and the concept behind the line integral in the second
thenewbosco
hello, i just wish to check that i have done the following correctly:

1. Evaluate [tex] \int d\overarrow{r} [/tex] (r is a vector, and its a closed integral) around the circle C represented by [tex]x^2 + y^2 = a^2[/tex]

what i did here was switch to polars and called [tex]d\overarrow{r}[/tex] ->[tex]rd\theta[/tex] then i noted that r=a and integrated from 0 to 2pi to get the answer as 2pi * a.

and

2. If [tex]\overarrow{f} = x\hat{x} + y\hat{y} + z\hat{z}[/tex]
evaluate [tex]\int \overarrow{f} \cdot d\overarrow{r} [/tex] from (0,0,0) to (1,1,1) along
a) a straight line connecting these points
b) a path from (0,0,0) to (1,0,0) to (1,1,0) to (1,1,1)

for both of these i ended up getting 3/2
for a i just replaced y and z by x and dy and dz by dx and integrated 3x dx...
and for b i got 3/2 by adding up three integrals so i think this should be correct? thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should have gotten a hint that your answer is incorect for 1. since what this integral represents is the adding of many many tiny vectors one at the end of another such that the last one of these tiny vector ends where the first one started. Such a sum of vector gives the null vector. (Not to mention that you're summing vectors but your answer is a scalar :grumpy:)

What [itex]\oint d\vec{r}[/itex] represents is actually

[tex]\int_{t_1}^{t_2}\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}dt[/tex]

for some parametetrisation [itex]\vec{r}(t)[/itex], [itex]t\in (t_1,t_2)[/tex] of the circle. So, what this comes down to is finding a parametrisation of the circle and integrate its derivative.

For 2. there is a good chance that is correct since [itex]\nabla \times \vec{f}=0[/itex], i.e. the field is conservative, so the line integral should be path-independant.

Last edited:
However, if you had to integrate

[tex]\oint_C ||d\vec{r}||[/tex]

then this would have been [itex]2\pi a[/itex] since now you're adding the length of all the tiny vectors, which in the limit dr-->0, should give you the circumference of the circle.

1. What is the definition of a vector function?

A vector function is a mathematical function that takes a scalar input and produces a vector output. It is typically represented by r(t) or F(x,y,z), where t is the independent variable and x, y, z are the components of the vector.

2. How do you integrate a vector function?

The integration of a vector function involves finding the antiderivative of each component of the vector function and combining them into a new function. This process is known as vector integration or line integration.

3. What is the significance of a circle path in vector function integration?

A circle path is an important example of a closed curve in vector function integration. It allows for the evaluation of the integral along a closed path, which can represent a physical quantity such as work or flux.

4. Can vector functions be integrated along straight line paths?

Yes, vector functions can be integrated along straight line paths. This is known as a line integral along a straight line and is useful for finding the work done by a force along a specific direction.

5. How do you evaluate a vector function along a specific path?

To evaluate a vector function along a specific path, you first need to parameterize the path by defining the independent variable as a function of another variable. Then, substitute the parameterized path into the vector function and integrate along the path to find the value of the function at that point.