Check my answers please (3 work questions)

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the amount of work done by gravity on the projectile launched at a 45 degree angle from ground level is equal to the change in kinetic energy, which is half of the mass times the squared sine of the launch angle. For the hockey player pushing a puck, the work done is equal to the force times the displacement, and the final speed can be calculated using the equation v=sqrt(vi^2+2ad). For the particle undergoing displacement, the work done is equal to the dot product of the force and displacement vectors.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think I got these right, but I'd feel better if someone could tell me if I did them correctly:

A projectile is launched from ground level at a 45 degree angle. How much work does gravity do on the projectile between its launch and when it hits the ground?

Gravity will do as much work on the object as the work performed by the
y-component of the force that launched the projectile.
[tex]
W_{gravity} =\Delta K_{gravity}
\]
\[
\Delta K_{gravity} =\frac{1}{2}mv_y^2
\]
\[
\Delta K_{gravity} =\frac{1}{2}m\left( {\sin (45)v} \right)^2
\]
\[
W_{gravity} =\frac{1}{2}m\left( {\sin (45)v} \right)^2
[/tex]

A hockey player pushes a puck of mass 0.50 kg across the ice using a constant force of 10.0 N over a distance of 0.50 m. How much work does the hockey player do? If the puck was initially stationary, what is its final speed? (Ignore friction.)

[tex]W=Fd, W=10N*0.5m, W=5N[/tex]
[tex]
F=ma
\quad
\Rightarrow
\quad
a=\frac{F}{m}
\]
\[
a=\frac{10.0N}{0.50kg}
\quad
\Rightarrow
\quad
a=\frac{10.0\rlap{--} {k}\rlap{--} {g}\cdot m/s^2}{0.50\rlap{--}
{k}\rlap{--} {g}}
\]
\[
a=20m/s^2
\]
\[
v_f^2 =v_i^2 +2a\Delta d
\quad
\Rightarrow
\quad
v=\sqrt {v_i^2 +2a\Delta d}
\]
\[
v=\sqrt {\left( {2\cdot 20\frac{m}{s^2}} \right)\cdot 0.50m}
\]
\[
v=4.5m/s
[/tex]

If a constant force F=(30.N)i, + (50.N)j acts on a particle that undergoes a displacement (4.0m)i + (1.0m)j , how much work is done on the particle?

[tex]
W=Fd
\]
\[
W=\sqrt {\left( {3.0N} \right)^2+\left( {5.0N} \right)^2} \cdot \sqrt
{\left( {4.0m} \right)^2+\left( {1.0m} \right)^2}
\]
\[
W=20J
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
tony873004 said:
I think I got these right, but I'd feel better if someone could tell me if I did them correctly:

A projectile is launched from ground level at a 45 degree angle. How much work does gravity do on the projectile between its launch and when it hits the ground?

[tex]
\]
\[
\]
\[
\]
\[
[/tex]

This is all right.

A hockey player pushes a puck of mass 0.50 kg across the ice using a constant force of 10.0 N over a distance of 0.50 m. How much work does the hockey player do? If the puck was initially stationary, what is its final speed? (Ignore friction.)

[tex]
F=ma
\quad
\Rightarrow
\quad
a=\frac{F}{m}
\]
\[
a=\frac{10.0N}{0.50kg}
\quad
\Rightarrow
\quad
{k}\rlap{--} {g}}
\]
\[
a=20m/s^2
\]
\[
v_f^2 =v_i^2 +2a\Delta d
\quad
\Rightarrow
\quad
\]
\[
\]
\[
v=4.5m/s
[/tex]
Correct, slight rounding error but that's cool.

If a constant force F=(30.N)i, + (50.N)j acts on a particle that undergoes a displacement (4.0m)i + (1.0m)j , how much work is done on the particle?

[tex]
W=Fd
\]
\[
\]
\[
W=20J
[/tex]

W is actually the dot product between F and D. Dot the two vectors. The dot product of two vectors a and b in two dimensions is:

[tex] \vec{a} \bullet \vec{b} = a_xb_x+a_yb_y [/tex] Also I don't know if its a typo, but in your square root you have magnitudes 5.0N and 3.0N for the force, but in the problem they are 50N and 30N.

Thanks, whozum. :smile:

That is a typo. 3.0 should be in the question, not 30. 50 too.

Isn't d a displacement, and therefore a scalar, not a vector? So the dot product wouldn't apply and it's just straight forward multiplication?

The rounding error, I actually got 4.4721, but rounded t 4.5 because the inputs were all 2 significant figures. Is that what you meant by rounding error, or did I make another mistake? :yuck:

tony873004 said:
Thanks, whozum. :smile:

That is a typo. 3.0 should be in the question, not 30. 50 too.

Isn't d a displacement, and therefore a scalar, not a vector? So the dot product wouldn't apply and it's just straight forward multiplication?
I just use D because that's what I did in algebra based physics back in high school, it hasnt left me since. The correct equation for work is:

[tex] W = \int_{x_1}^{x_2}{F}\bullet{dx} = \int_{x_1}^{x_2}{Fcos(\theta){dx} [/tex]
Only the component of force parallel to the path will contribute to the amount of work done. The dot product is necessary.

Given a straight path dx which is always parallel (theta = 0) to the (assumed constant) force:

[tex] W = \int_{x_1}^{x_2}{F\bullet{dx} = \int_{x_1}^{x_2}{Fcos(0){dx} = \int_{x_1}^{x_2}{F}{dx} = Fx]_{x_1}^{x_2}[/tex]
The rounding error, I actually got 4.4721, but rounded t 4.5 because the inputs were all 2 significant figures. Is that what you meant by rounding error, or did I make another mistake? :yuck:
Thats what I meant.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot whozum. I'll switch that to the dot product.

Our book is picky about significant figures. I've come up with answers like 14.57 m/s, and turn to the back to see the answer given as 10 m/s. Luckily, the homework grader does not care about sig figs.

tony873004 said:

[tex]
\]
\[
\]
\[
\]
\[
[/tex]
Careful with this one. The work done by gravity (which is the only force acting on the projectile) equals the change in KE. When the the projectile returns to ground, how has its KE changed? So what's the net work done by gravity?

[tex]
F=ma
\quad
\Rightarrow
\quad
a=\frac{F}{m}
\]
\[
a=\frac{10.0N}{0.50kg}
\quad
\Rightarrow
\quad
{k}\rlap{--} {g}}
\]
\[
a=20m/s^2
\]
\[
v_f^2 =v_i^2 +2a\Delta d
\quad
\Rightarrow
\quad
\]
\[
\]
\[
v=4.5m/s
[/tex]
OK. Two comments. (1) Work is measured in Joules, not Newtons. (2) Why didn't you use [itex]\mbox{Work} = \Delta \mbox{Kinetic Energy} = 1/2 m v^2[/itex] to solve for the speed; since you found the work, why not use it?

[tex]
W=Fd
\]
\[
\]
\[
W=20J
[/tex]
This is incorrect, as it assumes that the force and displacement are parallel, which is not the case. Take the dot product of the two vectors. (Yes, displacement is a vector.) Since the force is constant there is no need for any integration.

Thanks, Doc! That makes sense.

1. How do I know if my answers are correct?

One way to check your answers is to compare them with a trusted source, such as a textbook or a teacher's answer key. You can also ask a classmate or tutor to review your work and provide feedback.

2. What should I do if I get a different answer than the one provided?

If you get a different answer, double check your work to see if you made a mistake. Look for any possible errors, such as miscalculations or misinterpretations of the question. If you are still unsure, seek help from a teacher or tutor.

3. Can I use a calculator to check my answers?

Yes, you can use a calculator to check your answers. However, it is important to make sure you are using the correct formula and inputting the numbers correctly. Relying solely on a calculator may also hinder your understanding of the concepts being tested.

4. How do I know if my work is organized and easy to follow?

One way to ensure your work is organized and easy to follow is to use clear and concise steps or explanations for each problem. You can also ask someone else to review your work and provide feedback on its organization and clarity.

5. What should I do if I am still unsure about my answers after checking them?

If you are still unsure about your answers, try redoing the problems or seeking help from a teacher or tutor. It is important to understand the concepts and be able to confidently explain your reasoning behind the answers.