Astronomy Logic and Accuracy: Check Your Homework with RQs and P3

In summary, the conversation discusses various topics related to general astronomy, including apparent visual magnitude, celestial poles, and circumpolar constellations. It is noted that the number of circumpolar constellations depends on the observer's latitude, and that atmospheric refraction can affect the visibility of celestial objects near the horizon. The conversation also includes a question about accuracy, to which the response is positive.
ChrisEffinSmi
Working on a homework for a general astronomy class. Just want to make sure I'm not being inaccurate. Please let me know if I goofed something up. Thanks!

RQ7: The word “apparent” in “apparent visual magnitude” is used to denote its dependence on viewing distance. These numbers refer to the stars brightness as seen from Earth (flux). Therefore, a very distant yet very bright star might have a high apparent visual magnitude when seen from earth, but may appear much brighter from a closer vantage point.

RQ11: Theoretically, if you were to position yourself on the earth’s equator you could see both the north and south celestial poles at the same time.

RQ14: The number of circumpolar constellations depends on the latitude of the observer due to their very nature. A circumpolar constellation circles its respective celestial pole, and as such the further a person travels (changes in latitude) from the respective pole, the more perpendicular they are making themselves to that axis. Subsequently, constellations that never set when viewed from the pole will set and rise on a regular basis when viewed from the equator.

P3: Since the horizon remains perpendicular to the observer, as the observer changes latitude, the angular distance between the zenith and the celestial pole changes by the same amount. As such, a person at 35 degrees north of the equator will have a northern horizon that extends 35 degrees past the northern celestial pole. Also, the same person in the same position will have a southern horizon that terminates 35 degrees before the southern celestial pole.

Physics news on Phys.org
All of those descriptions are great. One interesting fact about RQ11: it might be practically possible to see both poles at the same time because atmospheric refraction makes stars near the horizon seem a degree higher than they actually are.

As a scientist, it is great to see that you are actively checking your homework for accuracy. After reviewing your responses, I can confirm that you have accurately addressed the concepts of apparent visual magnitude, the visibility of the celestial poles from different latitudes, and the number of circumpolar constellations based on latitude. Your explanation of the relationship between the horizon and the observer's latitude is also correct. Keep up the good work!

1. What is "Check my Astronomy logic"?

"Check my Astronomy logic" is a phrase used to indicate that someone is asking for confirmation or validation of their reasoning or understanding in the field of astronomy. It is often used when seeking feedback or clarification on a scientific concept or theory.

2. Why is it important to check one's astronomy logic?

Checking one's astronomy logic is important because it helps ensure that the information being presented or understood is accurate and scientifically sound. It also allows for potential errors or misunderstandings to be identified and corrected, leading to a better understanding of the topic.

3. How can I check my astronomy logic?

One way to check your astronomy logic is to consult reliable sources, such as scientific journals or publications, and compare your understanding with the information presented. You can also seek feedback from experts or peers in the field who can provide insights and corrections to your reasoning.

4. What are the common mistakes to watch out for when checking astronomy logic?

Common mistakes to watch out for when checking astronomy logic include relying on outdated or incorrect information, misinterpreting data, and making assumptions without proper evidence. It is also important to be aware of personal biases or preconceptions that may affect one's understanding of a topic.

5. Is checking astronomy logic a one-time process?

No, checking astronomy logic is an ongoing process that should be applied to all scientific concepts and theories. As new research and discoveries are made, it is important to re-evaluate and update one's understanding to ensure that it remains accurate and up-to-date.