Fluid Mechanics: Determining Dimensions of dP/dx for Force and Distance

In summary, the conversation is about determining the dimensions of dP/dx for a given scenario involving force and distance. The correct dimensions for P and dP/dx are discussed, along with a clarification on the professor's use of the variable P. The conversation also references an extension of the question that caused confusion for the poster.
pyroknife
I'm not sure if I should have posted in the advanced section, but this is for the class "fluid mechanics" which is an upper division course. However, the material I'm asking is mainly introductory stuff.

Determine the dimensions of dP/dx.
Where P is a force and x represents distance

So dimensions of P would be ML/T^2
Dimensions of dP/dx would be (ML/T^2)' = M/T^2

Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that look's correct.

[Although, I've never seen anyone take a derivative of a dimensional expression as you did! Dimensionally, you can think of a derivative as just a fraction. So, the dimensions of dP/dx is just the dimensions of the numerator (P) divided by the dimensions of the denominator (x). Think of dP as essentially the same as ΔP which is a change in pressure and therefore has the dimensions of pressure. Similarly for dx.]

Last edited:
Hey, thank you! I thought it was a weird problem too. I've never had to do something like this either, so I was a little skeptical about my own method.

I posted in the introductory forum an extension of this question https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4050555#post4050555.
This one really confused me, I've never seen anything like it.

You said that P was force, but in this context, the professor must have meant that P is pressure. It looks like TSny inherently assumed that P is pressure, which is probably correct. The units of pressure can also be considered N/M2, so that dP/dx would have units of N/M3, or force per unit volume. I think that this is what your professor was getting at.

chet

No he stated that P was force.

TSny said:
Yes, that look's correct.

[Although, I've never seen anyone take a derivative of a dimensional expression as you did! Dimensionally, you can think of a derivative as just a fraction. So, the dimensions of dP/dx is just the dimensions of the numerator (P) divided by the dimensions of the denominator (x). Think of dP as essentially the same as ΔP which is a change in pressure and therefore has the dimensions of pressure. Similarly for dx.]

Ugh, I mean't to say force instead of pressure. :redface: Sorry, Chestermiller and pyroknife.

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their behavior under various conditions such as motion, pressure, and temperature.

2. Why is it important to check my fluid mechanics work?

Checking your fluid mechanics work is important because it helps to ensure accuracy and validity of your calculations and analysis. This is particularly crucial in engineering applications where small errors can have significant consequences.

3. What are the key principles of fluid mechanics?

The key principles of fluid mechanics include mass conservation, momentum conservation, and energy conservation. These principles form the basis for understanding the behavior of fluids and their interactions with their surroundings.

4. How can I check my fluid mechanics work for errors?

To check your fluid mechanics work for errors, you can review your calculations and equations for accuracy, double-check your units and conversions, and compare your results with known solutions or experimental data. It is also helpful to have a peer or instructor review your work.

5. What are some common mistakes to look out for when checking fluid mechanics work?

Some common mistakes to look out for when checking fluid mechanics work include incorrect use of units, incorrect application of equations, and errors in calculations or data input. It is also important to ensure that all assumptions and approximations made in the analysis are valid.