Understanding Symbolic Logic: Mr. X's Final & Class Pass

In summary, the conversation was about using symbolic logic to represent statements about Mr. X's final grade and passing the class. The speaker provides responses in symbols for three different statements and is unsure if they are correct, but their friend trusts them. The conversation also touches on the use of "but" and "and" as logical connectives.
buddyholly9999
Ok..tried to help a friend understand some of his homework..I haven't seen symbolic logic since college, but there was this one problem in particular that went something like..."Mr. X got a C on his final." and "Mr. X passed the class"...we say that these are represented by p and q, respectively. Then it goes on to list some statements which you have to write in symbols.

1) Mr. X did not get a C on his final but he passed the class...
my response was ... ~p and q
I'm pretty damn sure I'm right but he kept complaining that the but might not denote the 'and' connective.

2) It was necessary for Mr. X to get a C on his final in order for him to pass the class.
My response was... q => p

3)
Mr. X passed the class only if he got a C on his final.
My response was... q => p

He trusts me that I'm right...and I'm figuring that the second and third responses are correct..but I'm worried I'm wrong..if you read the second and third statements, you can see why someone would think that they are essentially the same.

I hoping for some feedback..even if it's to tell me to %#@& off..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those all look fine to me. And yes "but" is the same as "and."

Does your friend speak English? Logically, "but" and "and" mean the same thing.

1. What is symbolic logic?

Symbolic logic is a method of representing logical arguments using symbols and formal rules of inference. It allows for a more precise and rigorous analysis of arguments than natural language.

2. How can understanding symbolic logic benefit me?

Understanding symbolic logic can improve critical thinking skills and help you spot flaws in arguments. It is also useful in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and philosophy.

3. Who is Mr. X and why is his final important?

Mr. X is a hypothetical character used in examples of symbolic logic problems. His final is important because it is a common example used to demonstrate the application of symbolic logic in solving problems.

4. What does it mean to pass a class in symbolic logic?

In symbolic logic, passing a class refers to understanding and being able to apply the principles and techniques of symbolic logic to solve problems and evaluate arguments.

5. Is symbolic logic difficult to learn?

Symbolic logic can be challenging to learn, especially for those without a strong background in logic or mathematics. However, with practice and guidance, it can be mastered like any other subject.