Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Check my logic

1. Jan 22, 2017 #1
    Given ##a,b\inℝ## with ##a≥b## and ##b≥c##, I wish to show that ##a≥c##. For that we have ##a-b≥0## and ##b-c≥0##. Therefore, ##a-b+b-c≥0## and so ##a-c≥0##. Hence, ##a≥c##. Q.E.D.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this works unless I should use different cases because of equality and inequality. What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2017 #2
    Looks good to me. Even simpler, this can be written as a≥b≥c, and automatically, a≥c.

4. Jan 22, 2017 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How does this prove anything. You just restate the result which needs to be proven.

5. Jan 23, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How do you get from ##a \geq b## to ##a-b \geq 0## and from (##a-b \geq 0## and ##b-c \geq 0##) to ##a-b +b-c \geq 0##?

At that level, you have to do everything with the definitions and axioms.

6. Jan 23, 2017 #5
    It shows that if a is greater than/equal to b, then it must be greater than/equal to whatever b is greater than/equal to: in this case, c.

7. Jan 23, 2017 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You're assuming what requires to be shown: transitivity.

8. Jan 23, 2017 #7
    That being said, how would you prove it?

9. Jan 23, 2017 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Depends on the definition and the axioms given to me.

10. Jan 27, 2017 #9
    My proof as written is incomplete. In the final proof I'd be sure to justify my assertions using definitions and axioms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted