John & Julia's Ages: Solving the Mystery

• Thread starter Jeebus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, John and Julia's ages can be represented by the equations x = y - (x - (x+10)/2) and x + 10 = (x + 10)/2. These equations can be used to solve for their ages.
Jeebus
Question posed:
Julia is as old as John will be when Julia is twice as old as John was when Julia's age was half the sum of their present ages.

John is as old as Julia was when John was half the age he will be 10
years from now.

How old are John and Julia?

x + 10 = John's age in 10 years

x + 10
------ = 1/2 of John's age in 10 years

Now, it would be helpful to know when John was (x + 10)/2. Let's say a person is 56 years old and if I want to know when was I 20, I just subtract 56 - 20 and find that I was 20, 36 years ago.
x + 10
So, x - ------ will tell us how many years ago John was (x + 10)/2.

How old was Julie then? Well, if I want to know how old my 42-year-old
brother was 36 years ago, I just subtract 42 - 36 and learn that he
was 6.
x + 10
So, Julie's age must have been y - (x - -------). But, if that is what
John's age is right now, we have:

x + 10
x = y - ( x - ------ )

I went through this same reasoning process with the rest of the
information in the problem and came up with another equation in two
variables. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Jeebus
we have:

x + 10
x = y - ( x - ------ )
Yes, that is right. But since this system doesn't support blanks so well, you should rather type:
x = y - (x - (x+10)/2).

That's the correct equation for statement (2).
As you correctly stated, statement (1) will give another equation in x and y, and this system of 2 equations in 2 unknowns should have a unique solution.

Yes, your reasoning and equations are correct. To solve for x and y, we can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for one variable in terms of the other. This would give us a value for one of the ages, which we can then substitute into either equation to solve for the other age. This process may be a bit tedious, but it is an effective way to solve for both John and Julia's ages in this mystery.

Yes, you are correct. Your reasoning process is correct and you have set up the correct equations to solve for John and Julia's ages. Now, we can solve for x and y by setting the two equations equal to each other and solving for one variable. Substituting the value of x into either equation will then give us the value of the other variable. This will give us the ages of John and Julia. Great job in breaking down the problem and setting up the equations!

1. What is "John & Julia's Ages: Solving the Mystery"?

"John & Julia's Ages: Solving the Mystery" is a scientific puzzle that involves using mathematical equations and logical reasoning to determine the ages of two individuals named John and Julia.

2. How do you solve the mystery?

The mystery is solved by carefully analyzing the given clues and using them to create and solve mathematical equations. It requires critical thinking skills and attention to detail.

3. What is the purpose of "John & Julia's Ages: Solving the Mystery"?

The purpose of this activity is to exercise and develop problem-solving skills, logical reasoning, and mathematical thinking. It also promotes teamwork and collaboration if done in a group setting.

4. Is this activity suitable for all ages?

Yes, this activity can be modified to be suitable for all ages. The difficulty of the clues and equations can be adjusted based on the age and skill level of the participants.

5. Can this activity be used for educational purposes?

Yes, "John & Julia's Ages: Solving the Mystery" can be used as an educational tool to teach critical thinking, logical reasoning, and mathematical concepts. It can be incorporated into math or science lessons or used as a fun activity during break times.