1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Check my reasoning (proof)

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    Ok I am doing some additional problems becuase my professor assigns evens and i do odd and evens so i can at least check my work in backs of book.

Prove that if W is a subspace of vector space V, dim(W) is less than or equal to dim(V).

Proof: We know W is a subspace of V and therefore has a basis. The basis in W is in V and we also know V has a basis. If the basis for W has same dimension as a basis for V then W is V and we are done. Since V contains W that means the basis for W must be a linear combination of vectors in basis of V. So since every w in W can be generated by a basis in V then then dimV cannot be smaller than dimW. there for dimW<=dimV.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2
    Linear Algebra Proof, (please check my reasoning)

Here is my questionable attempt at a proof for my LA class
    my professor assigns evens so we cant even check our homework so i do both odds and evens but even then I can't check my proofs so easily.

Prove that if W is a subspace of vector space V, dim(W) is less than or equal to dim(V).

Proof: We know W is a subspace of V and therefore has a basis. The basis in W is in V and we also know V has a basis. If the basis for W has same dimension as a basis for V then W is V and we are done. Since V contains W that means the basis for W must be a linear combination of vectors in basis of V. So since every w in W can be generated by a basis in V then then dim(V) cannot be smaller than dim(W). there for dim(W)<=dim(V).

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3
    Re: Linear Algebra Proof, (please check my reasoning)

bump please help! don't be shy

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4
    more rigourously, try wording it in terms of the replacement theorem. I think you may have to prove that the subspace is finite-dimensional as well, if V is finite dimensional

6. Oct 26, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think it would be a little clearer to use the fact that, for V of dimension n, a set of more than n vectors in V cannot be independent.

7. Oct 26, 2009 #6
    Re: Linear Algebra Proof, (please check my reasoning)

It can be challenging to give advice on such problems because I don't know what theorems/corollaries you've already proved, or even if your vector spaces are all finite dimensional. I'll assume that all spaces are finite dimensional.

You should consider the case W = {0}, although it's trivial.

Remark: Bases don't have dimensions, only spaces and subspaces do. You probably meant to say something like: If the basis for W has the same number of elements as a basis for V, then W = V and we are done.

Again, your terminology is inexact. A basis can't be a linear combination of vectors, but the elements of the basis (which are vectors) can be.

I find your statements in the last quote to be confusing. Have you already proved that, if dim (V) = n, then no set of linearly independent vectors in V can contain more than n elements? If so, I suggest that you try to base a proof on that.

Please post again if my comments aren't clear or if you have any questions.

Petek

8. Oct 26, 2009 #7
    Please note that the original poster also posed this question here in the homework thread.

@Dosmascerveza: Please post a question only in one thread to avoid duplication of efforts by those who are trying to help you. Thanks.

Petek

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook