Calculating μs of a Car: Understanding Acceleration and Friction

• Thread starter TAN6
  • Start date
In summary: The frictional force is now in the opposite direction (i.e. it's a deceleration force), and the car's acceleration is zero. So, I think you need to set up a new equation (using the same formula you used to get a before, but setting a = 0), and use it to solve for the new value of \mu_s. After you do this, you can go back and check to make sure that your answer for μs is the same in both cases (i.e. during the initial phase and during the coasting phase). If it isn't, then that would be a sign that you made a mistake somewhere. Does that make sense?In summary, to find the coefficient of static friction
TAN6
Find μs of the car.
- A Car takes 10 seconds to accelerate to 80km before the driver shifts the car into neutral.
- The cars mass = 1810kg
- The car coats 0.9km before coming to a complete stop.
- The total time = 86 seconds.

Here is the work I have done.

μs = ma/mg
to find a
V2 = V1 +at
22.2 = 0 +a10
a = 2.22m/s2

μs = 1810 * 2.22 / 1810 * 9.8
μs = 0.22

Does this make sense. This is the μs for the road right? How can I find it for the car? I figure I need to use the total distance it travel for something but I'm not sure how. Any help is welcome

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
TAN6 said:
Here is the work I have done.

μs = ma/mg

I'm not sure I understand this. You're saying that the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force (which is just equal to the weight of the car in this case) is equal to some force, i.e.:

[tex] \mu_s mg = F [/tex]

But why should this "F" be the net force on the car, ma?
TAN6 said:
to find a
V2 = V1 +at
22.2 = 0 +a10
a = 2.22m/s2

This looks reasonable, assuming constant acceleration.

TAN6 said:
Does this make sense. This is the μs for the road right? How can I find it for the car?

Umm...:uhh:...a frictional force is a force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact that are trying to slide relative to each other. So it only makes sense to speak of a coeffcient of friction between two surfaces. In this case, the only [itex]\mu[/itex] you could calculate would be the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road (i.e. the coefficient of friction for rubber on asphalt). It doesn't make sense to speak of mu only for the car, or only for the road. Are you sure this is the exact wording of the problem?EDIT: Ohhhh! I think I understand. In this case, the frictional force is the forward force of the road on the tires that causes the car to move forward instead of its tires just spinning in place, right? So that explains why you were setting the frictional force F equal to ma! It also explains why you were using the coefficient of static friction rather than kinetic friction (the two surfaces never actually slide relative to each other...unless the tires lose traction). Okay, in that case, I think you are on the right track, but you need to address the coasting phase of the trip too...not just the initial phase in which the engine is powering the car. During this phase, the situation is slightly different, right?

Last edited:

Your calculations for finding the acceleration and coefficient of static friction (μs) for the road are correct. However, to find the μs for the car, we need to consider the forces acting on the car during acceleration and deceleration.

During acceleration, the car experiences a forward force (F) from the engine and a backward force (Ff) from friction. The equation for acceleration (a) in terms of these forces is: a = (F - Ff)/m. We can rearrange this equation to solve for Ff: Ff = F - ma.

Now, during deceleration, the car experiences a backward force (Fb) from the brakes and a forward force (Ff) from friction. The equation for deceleration (a) in terms of these forces is: a = (Fb + Ff)/m. We can rearrange this equation to solve for Ff: Ff = a - Fb.

Combining these two equations, we can solve for the coefficient of static friction (μs) for the car: μs = Ff/F = (F - ma)/F = 1 - (ma/F).

Using the given information, we can calculate the forces acting on the car during acceleration and deceleration. The forward force (F) from the engine is equal to the car's mass (m) multiplied by its acceleration (a), which we calculated to be 2.22 m/s^2. Therefore, F = 1810 kg * 2.22 m/s^2 = 4012 N.

During deceleration, the backward force (Fb) from the brakes is equal to the car's mass (m) multiplied by its deceleration (a), which we can calculate using the given information about the car's speed and distance traveled. The average speed of the car during deceleration is 80 km/86 s = 0.93 m/s. The deceleration (a) can be calculated using the equation a = (Vf^2 - V0^2)/2d, where Vf is the final velocity (0 m/s), V0 is the initial velocity (0.93 m/s), and d is the distance traveled (0.9 km = 900 m). Plugging in these values, we get a = -0.0087 m/s^2.

Therefore, Fb = 1810 kg

1. What is the purpose of "Check my solution - Does it make sense?"

The purpose of "Check my solution - Does it make sense?" is to ensure that a proposed solution to a problem is logical, reasonable, and accurate. It allows for a critical evaluation of the solution before implementing it.

2. When should I use "Check my solution - Does it make sense?"

"Check my solution - Does it make sense?" should be used whenever a solution to a problem is proposed. It is especially useful in scientific research and problem-solving to ensure the validity of the solution.

3. What are the benefits of using "Check my solution - Does it make sense?"

The benefits of using "Check my solution - Does it make sense?" include catching any errors or flaws in the proposed solution, improving the accuracy and reliability of the solution, and promoting critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. How can I determine if my solution makes sense?

To determine if a solution makes sense, you can ask yourself the following questions: Does the solution address the problem correctly? Is it logical and reasonable? Does it align with existing evidence and knowledge? Can it be replicated by others? If the answer is yes to these questions, then the solution is likely to make sense.

5. Is "Check my solution - Does it make sense?" only applicable to scientific problems?

No, "Check my solution - Does it make sense?" can be applied to any type of problem-solving or decision-making process. It can be used in various fields, such as business, education, and personal life, to ensure that the chosen solution is sensible and effective.