1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Check my work please?

1. Jul 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line. Sketch the region, the solid, and a typical disk or washer.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Sometimes, I struggled with drawing a solid and a typical disc. Also, I am unsure with the solution for problem 4. Do you see any mistakes?

I would so much appreciate your help.

Attached Files:

• PF.doc
      File size:
      203.5 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2010 #2
    This is a rare time when no one replied. Sad.
  4. Jul 26, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

You'll probably do better submitting one problem at a time.

The first couple of problems are missing some information - namely, the line around which the region is rotated. For example, in #2, you have the region bounded by y = 1 - x2 and y = 0, but you didn't say what this region is rotated around.
  5. Jul 26, 2010 #4
    It's probably rotated around y = 0, especially since the problem mentions "disk and washer."

I'm guessing the cylinder shape you drew was supposed to be a typical disk/washer the problem asked for, but that's not what you want. When the region is rotated around a horizontal line, disks and washers will be vertical, between the axis of revolution and the function for disks or between the two given functions for washers.

On #4, what are the last three equations for?
    y = 0, x = 2, x = 4
  6. Jul 27, 2010 #5

Staff: Mentor

Disks and washers can be oriented either vertically or horizontally.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook