Unanswered Thread: Help with EGR Problem

• Thread starter caddyguy109
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, the author is trying to find the time it takes for a projectile to travel a certain distance and calculates it using 1 s for time. He also needs to find the spring constant, k, and the initial kinetic energy of the projectile. Lastly, he needs to find the elastic potential energy of the projectile.
caddyguy109
Started another thread, but no one seems to be reading it:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=86320

So, simply put, here's what I've done so far and just need someone to glance over it and check for the most glaring (I already know I messed some things up) mistakes:
http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/3677/egrproblem5dq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you using 1 s for time?

Chi Meson said:
Why are you using 1 s for time?

Just as a stopgap kind of, until I get the recording of what the actual times were. It's only temp, I just wanted to try and get the calcs right and in order, then fix the # inputs later.

So, how's it look?

Anyone? :frown:

Bump :rolleyes:

Please, will someone just look over what I did and comment?

Well, there's no diagram, so I can't really tell,
but I expect that the stretch of the spring was NOT in the x-direction only,
and that the y-component of velocity was a direct result of the spring's PE.
[ie, 1/2 k s^2 = 1/2 m v^2 , not just (v_x)^2].

you could solve horizontal eq'n for landing time t
as a function of variable v_0 and measured x_f
then insert in vertical equation, so you solve directly for (v_0)^2

lightgrav said:
Well, there's no diagram, so I can't really tell,
but I expect that the stretch of the spring was NOT in the x-direction only,
and that the y-component of velocity was a direct result of the spring's PE.
[ie, 1/2 k s^2 = 1/2 m v^2 , not just (v_x)^2].

you could solve horizontal eq'n for landing time t
as a function of variable v_0 and measured x_f
then insert in vertical equation, so you solve directly for (v_0)^2

Okay, here's a quick diagram:
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3533/diagram6gl.jpg

How could I solve for time using v0 if I don't have v0? I used the xf=x0 + v0x*cos(theta)*t +(1/2)*a*t^2 to find the v0x, and the same deal for v0y. But was that right or not? I still have not gotten the correct times, but is there any way to figure them out with what I have?

All I need in the end is the spring constant for the system and to show equations describing it's motion/flight (like how far it would go with the particular v0 it shot with). But I keep confusing myself on what it is I'm actually calculating...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, the more I go over this problem, the more confused I get...especially since I don't have v0 to begin with, which is just throwing me off.

Could someone just help me with a little more in-depth layout of the steps? I've done several projectile problems before, but I always seem to mess up one or two steps and throw the whole thing off...

Last edited:
Bump...just need someone to help with an outline of the steps/equations I should have to get what I need :smile:

This is an AWESOME resource...well, as long as someone pays attention to your question...

Anyone? Just take a look over my work and help me straighten out the steps to get what I need :smile:

Hey. If it took 2.5 seconds to travel 6.2 m horizontally, why are you using 1 s in your calculations? Your formulas look correct, now find (initial speed) (cos 30)= (horizontal distance)(2.5 s).

So I'm finding initial speed again using:
v0*(cos 30)=dist*(2.5s) ?

Is that all?

What about the spring constant, k, at the end? What velocity figure do I use? Since I have like 10 of them, that was confusing me, as to which one I actually plug in down there...

Last edited:
?

Yet again...

I don't know why no one else is helping here.

After finding the actual initial velocity, calculate the initial kinetic energy of the projectile. This energy must be equal to the stored elastic potential energy before release. The elastic potential energy follows (approximately) the formula PE=1/2 k x^2, where x is the amount of stretch in the rubber band.

Okay, thanks! That helps me get closer to finishing this!

1. What is an EGR problem?

An EGR problem refers to issues with the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system in a vehicle. This system helps reduce harmful emissions by recirculating exhaust gases back into the engine for combustion. When there is a problem with this system, it can cause a variety of issues, such as decreased performance and increased emissions.

2. What are the common symptoms of an EGR problem?

The most common symptoms of an EGR problem include a rough idle, decreased engine performance, and an illuminated check engine light. You may also experience difficulty starting the vehicle or unusual noises coming from the engine.

3. How can I diagnose an EGR problem?

To diagnose an EGR problem, you can use an OBD-II scanner to check for error codes related to the EGR system. You can also visually inspect the EGR valve for any signs of damage or clogging. Additionally, you can perform a vacuum test to check for leaks in the EGR system.

4. What are the common causes of EGR problems?

The most common causes of EGR problems include a faulty EGR valve, clogged EGR passages, and a malfunctioning EGR solenoid. Other potential causes include carbon buildup, vacuum leaks, and electrical issues.

5. How can I fix an EGR problem?

The solution to an EGR problem will depend on the specific issue. In some cases, simply cleaning or replacing the EGR valve can solve the problem. If there is a clog in the EGR passages, they may need to be cleaned out. In more severe cases, the EGR system may need to be replaced entirely. It is best to consult a mechanic for a proper diagnosis and repair plan.