Checking Ochem Reaction Validity: 1-Methyl-1-Cyclohexanol with HBr and EtO-/EtOH

• Thread starter tandoorichicken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, "Check Ochem reaction please" is a request to review and examine a chemical reaction in the context of organic chemistry. It is important to check Ochem reactions because errors or mistakes can have significant consequences. Common mistakes to look out for include incorrect stoichiometry, reagents, and reaction conditions. To effectively check an Ochem reaction, one should have a thorough understanding of organic chemistry concepts and reactions, and use reference materials or consult with other chemists. There are also many online resources available for checking Ochem reactions, but it is important to use reputable and reliable sources.
tandoorichicken
I did this problem a little differently than my professor, so I need someone to check if it is valid.

Let's start with 1-methyl-1-cyclohexanol. If I react this with HBr, I should get 1-bromo-1-methylcyclohexane. And if I then react this with EtO-/EtOH, I should get 1-methyl-1-cyclohexene, right?

My professor wrote a reaction with sulfuric acid to give a carbocation that reacted with water to give the same product.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to need to consider whether the carbocation site would transfer itself in this case, also, remember that the elimination mechanism takes place in trans.

it is important to carefully consider the validity of any reaction, especially when it is done differently than what is typically taught. Let's break down the proposed reaction steps and evaluate their feasibility.

Firstly, the reaction between 1-methyl-1-cyclohexanol and HBr to form 1-bromo-1-methylcyclohexane is a well-known acid-catalyzed substitution reaction. This step is valid and can be supported by literature data.

Next, the proposed reaction between 1-bromo-1-methylcyclohexane and EtO-/EtOH to form 1-methyl-1-cyclohexene is a base-catalyzed elimination reaction. This step is also valid and has been reported in the literature.

However, the use of sulfuric acid to generate a carbocation intermediate, which then reacts with water to give the same product, is not a commonly used method in this type of reaction. In fact, it is more common to use a strong base such as potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide to promote the elimination reaction. Therefore, it would be helpful to know the rationale behind using sulfuric acid in this case.

In conclusion, the proposed reaction steps are valid and can lead to the formation of 1-methyl-1-cyclohexene. However, the use of sulfuric acid as a catalyst may require further explanation or justification. It would also be beneficial to compare the yields and reaction rates of the two methods to determine the most efficient approach.

1. What does "Check Ochem reaction please" mean?

"Check Ochem reaction please" is a request typically made by chemists or students studying organic chemistry. It means to review or examine a chemical reaction, specifically in the context of organic chemistry, to ensure its accuracy and validity.

2. Why is it important to check Ochem reactions?

Checking Ochem reactions is important because organic chemistry reactions can be complex and involve multiple steps. Any errors or mistakes in the reaction can lead to incorrect products or yield, which can have significant consequences in the research or practical applications of the reaction.

3. What are some common mistakes to look out for when checking Ochem reactions?

Some common mistakes to look out for when checking Ochem reactions include incorrect stoichiometry, incorrect use of reagents or solvents, and incorrect reaction conditions. It is also important to check for errors in the chemical structure or mechanism of the reaction.

4. How can I effectively check an Ochem reaction?

To effectively check an Ochem reaction, it is important to have a thorough understanding of organic chemistry concepts and reactions. One should carefully review the reaction conditions, reagents, and stoichiometry, and also consider the stability and reactivity of the starting materials and products. It can also be helpful to use reference materials or consult with other chemists for a second opinion.

5. Are there any online resources available for checking Ochem reactions?

Yes, there are many online resources available for checking Ochem reactions, such as reaction databases, virtual simulations, and forums for discussing and reviewing reactions with other chemists. It is important to use reputable and reliable sources when checking Ochem reactions.