1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Check PDE for linearity

1. Aug 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Check du/dt + d^2u/dx^2 + 1 = 0

2. Relevant equations

L is a linear operator if:

cL(u)=L(cu) and L(u+v)=L(u)+L(v)

3. The attempt at a solution

L = d/dt + d^2/dx^2 + 1

L(cu) = d(cu)/dt + d^2(cu)/dx^2 + 1 = c du/dt + c d^2(u)/dx^2 + 1 ≠ cL(u) = c du/dt + c d^2/dx^2 + c. So I found that it is not linear since it does not satisfy cL(u)=L(cu). However the solution tells me that it is. Can anyone spot my error?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

Are you sure the problem wants you to include the '+1' in the definition of the operator?

4. Aug 31, 2012 #3
    So that would be du/dt - d^2u/dx^2 = -1?

Then I have Lu = -1, L(cu)= d(cu)/dt - d^2(cu)/dx^2 = c du/dt + c d^2u/dx^2 = c L(u), L(u+v) = d(u+v)/dt - d^2(u+v)/dx^2 = du/dt + d^2u/dx^2 + dv/dt + d^2v/dx^2 = Lu + Lv, so it's linear and inhomogenous.

Thank you.

5. Sep 1, 2012 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I think what Mute was suggesting is that the real problem you have with linearity is

the -1 . For d(u+v),you will end up with the constant term -1 , but the same

will be the case for each of du and dv .Then du+dv will have constant term equal to

-1 -1 =-2≠ -1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook