Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Check this out GoogleScholar

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    My friend showed this to me the other day. I think it is a great idea.
    http://scholar.google.com/" [Broken]

It makes searching for references and sources for research much, much easier.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been using Scholar for a few years, most of the time it is more convenient than e.g. Web of Science and it is also much, much faster.

So yes, it is a great resource.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    I guess I'm behind the curve then, but I'm happy that it is available.

5. Nov 9, 2009 #4
    Does it contain all the things the standard databases do? Someone told me a few days ago that to get an overview "you may want to just use Google, or, marginally better, Scholar". I got the impression I should stick to my university database.

6. Nov 9, 2009 #5

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it it not quite as good as INSPEC and the others. But most of the time it is good enough, which is not bad considering it is a free resource.

Another advantage is that the search engine is quite flexible and fast, I personally think the interface is more intuitive than e.g. web of science etc.

And again, the fact that is just a single click away (if you add the scholar icon to the google toolbar) is a big plus. Login into Web of Science takes a while, at least were I work now.

7. Nov 9, 2009 #6
    In school we were always shown to use Google scholar or the school databases so I can't compare it to other 'academic search engines' but I do know that it worked really well for the research I've done.

8. Nov 9, 2009 #7
    Science Direct pwns all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook