Can Google Scholar Revolutionize Research Methods?

• Thread starter Pattonias
  • Start date
In summary, Google Scholar has the potential to revolutionize research methods by providing a comprehensive and easily accessible database of scholarly articles and publications. This allows researchers to quickly and efficiently gather information and citations, making the research process more streamlined and accurate. Additionally, Google Scholar's advanced search features and citation tracking capabilities make it a valuable tool for both students and professionals in various fields. However, there are also limitations and criticisms surrounding the use of Google Scholar, such as potential biases and incomplete coverage of certain disciplines. Overall, while Google Scholar has greatly improved the accessibility and organization of research materials, it should be used in conjunction with other sources for a well-rounded and thorough research approach.
Pattonias
My friend showed this to me the other day. I think it is a great idea.
http://scholar.google.com/"

It makes searching for references and sources for research much, much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've been using Scholar for a few years, most of the time it is more convenient than e.g. Web of Science and it is also much, much faster.

So yes, it is a great resource.

I guess I'm behind the curve then, but I'm happy that it is available.

Does it contain all the things the standard databases do? Someone told me a few days ago that to get an overview "you may want to just use Google, or, marginally better, Scholar". I got the impression I should stick to my university database.

No, it it not quite as good as INSPEC and the others. But most of the time it is good enough, which is not bad considering it is a free resource.

Another advantage is that the search engine is quite flexible and fast, I personally think the interface is more intuitive than e.g. web of science etc.

And again, the fact that is just a single click away (if you add the scholar icon to the google toolbar) is a big plus. Login into Web of Science takes a while, at least were I work now.

In school we were always shown to use Google scholar or the school databases so I can't compare it to other 'academic search engines' but I do know that it worked really well for the research I've done.

Science Direct pwns all.

What is "Check this out GoogleScholar"?

"Check this out GoogleScholar" is a feature on GoogleScholar that allows users to save and organize their research findings from the platform. It also provides users with recommendations for related articles and allows for easy sharing of articles with others.

How do I use "Check this out GoogleScholar"?

To use "Check this out GoogleScholar", simply click on the "Save" button next to an article that you want to save. You can then organize your saved articles into different folders and access them at any time from the "My Library" section on GoogleScholar.

Can I access my saved articles from any device?

Yes, you can access your saved articles from any device as long as you are logged into your Google account. This allows for easy access to your research findings from anywhere.

Is "Check this out GoogleScholar" free to use?

Yes, "Check this out GoogleScholar" is completely free to use for anyone with a Google account. There are no hidden fees or subscriptions required to use this feature.

Can I share my saved articles with others?

Yes, you can easily share your saved articles with others by clicking on the "Share" button next to the article. You can choose to share the article via email or through social media platforms.