Exploring the Milky Way & Orion Nebula with Hubble

In summary, an announcement was made that there may be a low mass galaxy just 300 light years away that has a very low stellar density. This could lead to a resolution of the "small-scale structure problem".
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Also, check this out:

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=3841"

It's an announcement from one of the groups I'm working with. We've found an overdensity of stars in the SDSS survey that, if real, might represent the nearest galaxy to the earth. My roommate is the first author on the paper (Juric et al.).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you ST - if real, then a low mass galaxy of ~ 106 stars and about 20,000 light yrs across? (Subtends ~300 at 30,000 lgt yrs.) So a very low stellar density galaxy.

Would it be noticed if further away, and if not then how many more are there out there?

Garth

SpaceTiger said:
Also, check this out:
http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=3841"
It's an announcement from one of the groups I'm working with. We've found an overdensity of stars in the SDSS survey that, if real, might represent the nearest galaxy to the earth. My roommate is the first author on the paper (Juric et al.).
pity i can't subscribe to this. do you know any other stuff that i can subscribe to freely, via e-mail?

Garth said:
Would it be noticed if further away, and if not then how many more are there out there?

I don't think it would have been, mainly because a galaxy as sparse as this would have an extremely low surface brightness. Your second question is so far unanswered, but LCDM theorists are trying hard to. An abundance of such galaxies would lead to a possible resolution of the "small-scale structure problem". This arises from the fact that the standard model seems to overpredict the number of small dark matter halos in the vicinity of the Milky Way. If they were present but escaping detection, then there would no longer be a discrepancy.

varsha said:
pity i can't subscribe to this. do you know any other stuff that i can subscribe to freely, via e-mail?

I'm not subscribed either. Are you saying you can't see the article?

SpaceTiger said:
I don't think it would have been, mainly because a galaxy as sparse as this would have an extremely low surface brightness. Your second question is so far unanswered, but LCDM theorists are trying hard to. An abundance of such galaxies would lead to a possible resolution of the "small-scale structure problem". This arises from the fact that the standard model seems to overpredict the number of small dark matter halos in the vicinity of the Milky Way. If they were present but escaping detection, then there would no longer be a discrepancy.
Yes, that was my drift. About ten years ago I heard a presentation of a paper that suggested the inter-cluster voids may in fact be not as deficient in density as they appear but filled with very low surface brightness galaxies that cannot be observed.

Garth

Garth said:
Yes, that was my drift. About ten years ago I heard a presentation of a paper that suggested the inter-cluster voids may in fact be not as deficient in density as they appear but filled with very low surface brightness galaxies that cannot be observed.

I'm sure that's possible as well. That wasn't work by Michael Vogeley, was it? I know he's big into the voids.

Fortunately for LCDM, the problems seem to lie in the regimes in which we have the least observational and theoretical certainty. If, instead of "small-scale structure" and "cuspiness" problems, we had "large-scale structure" and "rotation curve" problems, LCDM would be in a lot of trouble.

SpaceTiger said:
I'm not subscribed either. Are you saying you can't see the article?
well i can... but it's a magazine isen't it? so it's not free. and i can't get it through e-mail.

varsha said:
well i can... but it's a magazine isen't it? so it's not free. and i can't get it through e-mail.

I don't really know, I was just linking the story. I don't subscribe to any pop. sci. magazines or email services, so hopefully someone else can offer some suggestions.

Nereid said:
I have no trouble accessing it.
However, you could always go to the official SDSS website (well, one of them), and you'd find a link to a story on this very topic: http://www.sdss.org/news/releases/20060109.virgooverdensity.html". From my quick skim of both, I'd say the SDSS one is the better.
And that story refers to our very own SpaceTiger.:smile: Well done ST!
So what is the limit on DM is there in our neighbourhood? And does this go anywhere in resolving the dispute over the Cooperstock & Lieu claim?

Garth

Garth said:
So what is the limit on DM is there in our neighbourhood?

I can't say anything about that yet, partly cause it isn't published and partly because I don't have an answer. Here's a decent review of some of the past results:

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0203110"

And does this go anywhere in resolving the dispute over the Cooperstock & Lieu claim?

I doubt we'll check our results with their model.

SpaceTiger said:
I can't say anything about that yet, partly cause it isn't published and partly because I don't have an answer. Here's a decent review of some of the past results:
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0203110"
I doubt we'll check our results with their model.
No - I didn't expect that you will! The question really is that if you have secondary confirmation of local DM from perturbations on the infalling stars then that would knock the nail on the Cooperstock & Lieu claim, as well indeed on the Milgrom/Bekenstein MOND hypothesis.

Garth

Garth said:
No - I didn't expect that you will! The question really is that if you have secondary confirmation of local DM from perturbations on the infalling stars then that would knock the nail on the Cooperstock & Lieu claim, as well indeed on the Milgrom/Bekenstein MOND hypothesis.

It's purely a dynamical test, so it wouldn't necessarily help discriminate dark matter from modifications to gravity. It's possible that their theories would give noticably different kinematics in the solar neighborhood, but we would have to do detailed models to say for sure.

Chronos said:
This is worth a look:
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0601055
What do the orbital motions of the outer planets of the Solar System tell us about the Pioneer anomaly?
The paper sets out the present enigma: The Pioneer Anomaly cannot be explained by prosaic causes, gas or radiation leakage, and seems to be a real gravitational effect. This is seen in distant Pioneer and Voyager spacecraft , but there has been no correlating effect in the orbits of the outer planets.

It proposes a search for such an effect in the outer system asteroids/Kepler objects beyond 20AU.

One feature of the PA that I find intriguing is the magnitude of the PA acceleration is only just larger than the Hubble Acceleration cH, and therefore might well be cosmological in nature.

Garth

1. What is the Hubble Space Telescope and how does it explore the Milky Way and Orion Nebula?

The Hubble Space Telescope is a powerful telescope launched into orbit in 1990. It uses a combination of optics and electronics to capture high-resolution images and data of distant objects in space. By pointing its instruments at the Milky Way and Orion Nebula, the Hubble is able to gather information about their structures, compositions, and movements.

2. What have we learned about the Milky Way and Orion Nebula through Hubble's observations?

Through Hubble's observations, we have learned that the Milky Way is a barred spiral galaxy with a central bulge and spiral arms. We have also discovered that the Orion Nebula is a vast cloud of gas and dust where stars are actively being born. Hubble has also revealed the intricate details of these objects, such as the formation of new stars and the presence of massive black holes.

3. How does Hubble's exploration of the Milky Way and Orion Nebula contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By studying the Milky Way and Orion Nebula, we can gain insights into the processes that shape galaxies and the formation of stars. This information can then be applied to other galaxies and help us understand the evolution of the universe as a whole. Additionally, Hubble's observations of these objects provide valuable data for astronomers to test and refine current theories and models.

4. How far away are the Milky Way and Orion Nebula, and how does Hubble capture images of them?

The Milky Way is estimated to be about 100,000 light-years in diameter and the Orion Nebula is approximately 1,344 light-years away from Earth. Hubble is able to capture images of these objects by using its powerful cameras and instruments to focus on small sections of the sky and gather light from distant objects. The resulting images are then transmitted back to Earth for analysis and study.

5. What future discoveries can we expect from Hubble's exploration of the Milky Way and Orion Nebula?

Hubble's exploration of the Milky Way and Orion Nebula is ongoing, and we can expect to uncover even more information about these objects in the future. With advancements in technology, Hubble may be able to capture even sharper and more detailed images, revealing new insights into the structure and behavior of the Milky Way and Orion Nebula. Additionally, Hubble's observations may lead to the discovery of new objects or phenomena within these regions of space.