1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Check Understanding Impulse & Frequency Response

1. Feb 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the impulse and frequency responses of the following systems:

1. [itex]y(n) = \frac{1}{N+1}\sum_{k=-N}^{N}(1-\frac{|k|}{N+1})x(n-k)[/itex]

2. [itex]y(n)=ay(n-1)+(1-a)x(n)[/itex], where 0<a<1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so for 1. I look at h(n) which is [itex]\frac{1}{N+1}[(1-\frac{N}{N+1}) + (1-\frac{N-1}{N+1}) + ... +1+ (1-\frac{1}{N+1}) + ... + (1-\frac{N}{N+1})][/itex] And then this is equal to [itex] \frac{1}{N+1}[2N+1 - \frac{2N + 2(N-1) + ... + 2}{N+1}] = 1[/itex]. Thus the impulse response is just 1.

Now for 2. I observe the recursive behavior and conclude [itex] y(n) = (1-a)x(n) + a(1-a)x(n-1) + a^2 (1-a)x(n-2)+...[/itex]. And thus [itex]h(n)= (1-a)\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a^n = (1-a)\frac{1}{1-a} = 1[/itex].

Thus both my impulse responses are 1. And now for the frequency response I'm a bit confused, I think I find the frequency response by calculating [itex] h(w) = \sum_{m=-\infty}^{\infty}h(m)e^{-jwm}[/itex]. Is that correct? And so then h(m) would just be 1 in both cases? I'm a bit lost and we are using a Fourier analysis text and not a signal processing text so I'm having trouble matching engineering terminology with the appropriate mathematics. Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?