Checking a chem. questions answer

• Thread starter laker_gurl3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, when determining the accuracy of your answer to a chemistry question, it is important to double-check your calculations and compare your answer to an answer key or ask for verification from a classmate or teacher. The best way to check your answer is by using multiple methods, such as dimensional analysis, the mole ratio method, or stoichiometry. There are also online resources available for checking your answers, but it is important to use reliable sources. If your answer does not match the answer key, carefully review your calculations and seek assistance if needed. To improve accuracy, regularly practice and review concepts, pay attention to units and significant figures, and seek feedback from others.
laker_gurl3
the question is:

What is the pH of 1.50M of NH3?
the answer i got was a pH of 4.54..
is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
laker_gurl3 said:
the question is:

What is the pH of 1.50M of NH3?
the answer i got was a pH of 4.54..
is that correct?
SOLUTION HINTS:
For aqueous ammonia solution:
NH3 + H2O ↔ NH4+ + OH-
Kb = 1.8×10(-5) = [NH4+][OH-]/[NH3]
::: ⇒ 1.8×10(-5) = x2/(1.5 - x)
::: ⇒ x = [OH-] = (5.18716×10(-3))
::: ⇒ [H3O+] = 10(-14)/(5.18716×10(-3))
::: ⇒ pH = 11.715

~~

-log(H+)=pH
What's the pH value of 1M HCl?
I am afraid the answer is wrong as NH3 is an alkali

1. How do I know if my answer to a chemistry question is correct?

One way to check your answer is by double-checking your calculations and making sure you followed all the steps correctly. You can also compare your answer to the answer key or ask a classmate or teacher for verification.

2. What is the best way to check my answer to a chemistry problem?

The best way to check your answer is by using multiple methods. For example, you can use dimensional analysis, the mole ratio method, or stoichiometry to solve the problem and compare your answers. This will help to ensure accuracy and identify any potential errors.

3. Are there any online resources for checking my answers to chemistry questions?

Yes, there are many online resources available for checking your answers to chemistry questions. Some examples include online calculators, practice problems with answer keys, and interactive quizzes. It is important to use reliable and reputable sources when checking your answers.

4. What should I do if my chemistry answer doesn't match the answer key?

If your answer does not match the answer key, carefully go through your calculations and make sure you followed all the steps correctly. If you still cannot identify the error, ask a classmate or teacher for assistance. It is also helpful to review the underlying concepts and principles to better understand the problem and potential sources of error.

5. How can I improve my accuracy when checking my chemistry answers?

To improve accuracy when checking your chemistry answers, it is important to practice regularly and review the underlying concepts. Additionally, pay attention to units and significant figures, as these can greatly impact the accuracy of your answer. It is also helpful to seek feedback from a teacher or classmate and learn from any mistakes made in the process of checking your answers.