Applying the Summation Rule to Find a Derivative: Am I on the Right Track?

• Thread starter ladyrae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation revolved around the benefits and drawbacks of technology. The speakers discussed how technology has made our lives more convenient but also expressed concerns about its potential negative effects on society. They also mentioned the importance of finding a balance and using technology responsibly.
ladyrae
Am I on the right track?

Use the Summation Rule to find f ' (x) and simplify where possible:

f ' (x) = [tex] \frac {\sqrt {x}} {3} - \frac {3} {\sqrt {x}} + \frac {2} {x^3} [/tex]

= [tex] \frac {1}{3} (\frac {1}{2} x^{-\frac {1}{2}}) - 3(-\frac {1}{2} x^{-\frac{3}{2}}) + 2(-3{x^{-4}}) [/tex]

= [tex] \frac {1} {6\sqrt {x}} + \frac {3} {2x^{\frac{3}{2}}} - \frac{6} {x^{4}} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems OK to me

Derivative

How about this one? Is this right?

Using the summation rule, find f ’(x) and simplify where possible:

f (x) = [tex] \frac {1}{(2x)^{3}} + \frac {\sqrt {x}}{2\sqrt [3] {x}} + \frac {x} {\sqrt {2}}[/tex]

= [tex] \frac {1}{8}(-3)x^{-4}+ (\frac {1}{2})(\frac {1}{6})x^{-\frac {7}{6}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

= [tex] \frac {-3}{8x^{4}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] +1/12x^7/6

(Sorry about the notation couldn't get the last part right)

You should have
[tex]\frac{1}{12}x^{-\frac{5}{6}}[/tex]
rather than
[tex]\frac{1}{12}x^{-\frac{7}{6}}[/tex]

otherwise OK.

Thanks..can you check this one?

Using the summation rule, find f ’(x) and simplify where possible:

F (x) = [tex] \frac {x^{4}+2x^{2}-3x}{4\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

F ‘ (x) = [tex] (\frac{1}{4})(\frac{7}{2})x^{\frac {5}{2}}+ (\frac {1}{2})(\frac {3}{2})x^{\frac {1}{2}}-(\frac {3}{4})(\frac {1}{2})x^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

= [tex] \frac {7}{8}x^{\frac{5}{2}}+\frac{3\sqrt{x}}{4}-\frac{3}{8\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

It seems you are ready to move on to more challenging problems, ladyrae; you're mastering these concepts now :smile:

Thanks...the next one is the Product Rule

Use the product rule to find f ‘ (x) and simplify where possible

f (x) = [tex] (x+e^{x})(3-\sqrt{x})[/tex]

f ‘ (x) = [tex] (x+e^{x})(-\frac{1}{2}x^{-\frac{1}{2}})+(3-x^{\frac{1}{2}})(1+e^{t})[/tex]

= [tex] -\frac{3}{2}x^{\frac{1}{2}}-\frac{e^{x}}{2x^{\frac{1}{2}}}+3+3e^{t}-x^{\frac{1}{2}}e^{t}[/tex]

Is this right?

Which book are you working out of? Does it not offer the solutions - or a solution manual that you can buy separately? If you are using Stewart Calculus, I can show you where to download some of the solutions manual chapters for free.(At least I think the link's still there).

p.s. Wow! You are getting quite expert at the Latex formatting!

Thanks

I'm doing a calculus assignment...

Can anyone check the last one for me?

Thanks

where did the e^t come from that I see in your derivative?

terrible typo...i was reviewing another problem like it wrote down the wrong equation...

f (x) = [tex] (x+e^{x})(3-\sqrt{x})[/tex]

f ‘ (x) = [tex] (x+e^{x})(-\frac{1}{2}x^{-\frac{1}{2}})+(3-x^{\frac{1}{2}})(1+e^{x})[/tex]

= [tex] -\frac{3}{2}x^{\frac{1}{2}}-\frac{e^{x}}{2x^{\frac{1}{2}}}+3+3e^{x}-x^{\frac{1}{2}}e^{x}[/tex]

Is this right?[/QUOTE]

2 left

Use the quotient rule to find f ’(x) and simplify where possible

Y = [tex] \frac{x^{3} + x} {x^{4}-2}[/tex]

Y ‘ = [tex] \frac {(x^{4}-2) (3x^{2}+1)-(x^{3}+x)(4x^{3})}{x^{4}-2}[/tex]

=[tex] \frac {-x^{6}-3x^{4}-6x^{2}-2}{x^{4}-2}[/tex]

Is this right? How about the last one?

Anyone...Thanks

Post 12 is correct.

The second line in 13 has the correct numerator, but you have forgotten to square the denominator.

thanks

Thanks..it should be

[tex] \frac {-x^{6}-3x^{4}-6x^{2}-2}{(x^{4}-2)^{2}}[/tex]

can this be simplified?

last one

Find the equation of the tangent line to the curve [tex] y = x^{3}-1 [/tex]
at the point (-1,-2)

y ' = [tex] \frac {d}{dx}(x^{3}-1) = 3x^{2} [/tex]

[tex] m = 3x^{2} = 3 [/tex]

[tex] (y-y_1) = m(x-x_1) [/tex]

[tex] -3x+y-1 = 0 [/tex]

or
[tex] y = 3x + 1 [/tex]

If you have a TI-89, it will find all of these derivatives for you. It's a very nice way to check your work.

last one

Find the equation on the tangent line to the curve y = [tex] x^{3}-1 [/tex]at the point (-1,-2)

y ' = [tex] \frac {d}{dx}(x^{3}-1)=3x^{2}[/tex]

[tex] m= 3x^{2} = 3 [/tex]

[tex] (y-y_1) = m(x-x_1) [/tex]

[tex] -3x + y - 1 = 0 [/tex]

or
[tex] y=3x+1 [/tex]

is this right?

sorry

sorry for the repost..i didn't see page 2

Anyone?

TALewis said:
If you have a TI-89, it will find all of these derivatives for you. It's a very nice way to check your work.

You might also like to check out this site:

http://www.calc101.com

You can check derivatives here - although sometimes the steps it shows you will be more complicated than what you need to do to solve.

and [tex] y=3x+1 [/tex] looks correct to me.

What is a derivative?

A derivative is the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. It represents the slope of a curve at a specific point and is calculated using the limits of a function.

Why do we need to check a derivative?

Checking a derivative allows us to verify the accuracy of our calculations and ensure that we have correctly determined the slope of a curve at a specific point. It also helps us identify any errors that may have occurred during the calculation process.

How do we check a derivative?

To check a derivative, we can use various methods such as graphing, plugging in values, and using calculus rules and formulas. It is important to check our work using multiple methods to ensure accuracy.

What are some common mistakes when checking a derivative?

Some common mistakes when checking a derivative include forgetting to apply the chain rule, making arithmetic errors, and miscalculating limits. It is also important to double check the units of the derivative to ensure they are correct.

Why is checking a derivative important in scientific research?

Checking a derivative is crucial in scientific research because it allows us to validate the accuracy and reliability of our findings. It also helps us detect any errors and make necessary adjustments to our calculations, ensuring the integrity of our results.