Verifying Physics Answers: A Guide for Students

In summary, when studying physics in university, it is important to know how to check your answers mathematically. This can be done through logical reasoning and using units to verify calculations. It is also important to not just rely on numerical problem solving, but also understand and use equations and derivations. Additionally, working backwards can also be a helpful method in checking answers.
barthayn
I am most likely to study physics next year in university. I hope to obtain a major in physics. However, I noticed when I was studying it in high school that I had no idea how to check my answers, mathematically, to see if they were correct. How does one do this? I ask this because I know what I will get on my mathematics tests because I can verify it with a different method, but I have no idea with physics.

As well, thanks to everyone who helped me last year with physics. It was greatly needed :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In working (be it in physics or math) with problems you do the usual i.e. you analyze the problem, solve it using the right tool and check if your answers are right. In physics what works most in checking answers is logic. Just be logical, you would ask "Does my answer sound right?" I can remember Young and Freedman's University Physics has tips on solving problems. It has an example there like: A robber tries to steal a 20 million dollar worth of gold bars (not sure of the numbers here) and put it in his bag. If you buy a gram of gold it would be worth around say 25 dollars so for a USD 20 M he would have to carry 800 kg of gold bars. That is very unrealistic!

Also when you study in the university, you just don't have to work on problems by just subtituting numbers. You work with derivation (I like these stuffs) of equations. To check your answers, one common way is by checking with the units.

Of cource checking by working backwards is still a good way.

1. What is the purpose of "Verifying Physics Answers: A Guide for Students"?

The purpose of this guide is to help students understand the process of verifying their physics answers and to provide them with tips and strategies for ensuring the accuracy of their work.

2. Why is it important to verify physics answers?

Verifying physics answers is important because it allows students to identify any errors in their calculations, understand the concepts better, and improve their problem-solving skills. It also ensures the accuracy of their work and helps them to achieve better grades.

3. What are some common mistakes students make when verifying physics answers?

Some common mistakes students make when verifying physics answers include not checking their units, rounding errors, using incorrect formulas or equations, and not double-checking their work for errors.

4. How can I verify if my physics answer is correct?

To verify if your physics answer is correct, you can follow these steps:

• Check your units to make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations.
  • Rework the problem using a different method or approach.
  • Plug your answer back into the original equation to see if it satisfies the given conditions.
  • Compare your answer with a known solution or ask a teacher or classmate to check your work.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can help me verify my physics answers?

Yes, there are several tools and resources that can help you verify your physics answers, such as online calculators, physics textbooks, and solution manuals. You can also seek help from your teacher, tutor, or classmates for additional guidance and support.