• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Checking answers?

• Thread starter barthayn
  • Start date
I am most likely to study physics next year in university. I hope to obtain a major in physics. However, I noticed when I was studying it in high school that I had no idea how to check my answers, mathematically, to see if they were correct. How does one do this? I ask this because I know what I will get on my mathematics tests because I can verify it with a different method, but I have no idea with physics.

As well, thanks to everyone who helped me last year with physics. It was greatly needed :)

Answers and Replies

In working (be it in physics or math) with problems you do the usual i.e. you analyze the problem, solve it using the right tool and check if your answers are right. In physics what works most in checking answers is logic. Just be logical, you would ask "Does my answer sound right?" I can remember Young and Freedman's University Physics has tips on solving problems. It has an example there like: A robber tries to steal a 20 million dollar worth of gold bars (not sure of the numbers here) and put it in his bag. If you buy a gram of gold it would be worth around say 25 dollars so for a USD 20 M he would have to carry 800 kg of gold bars. That is very unrealistic!!!

Also when you study in the university, you just dont have to work on problems by just subtituting numbers. You work with derivation (I like these stuffs) of equations. To check your answers, one common way is by checking with the units.

Of cource checking by working backwards is still a good way.