Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checking implicit differentiation answers?

1. Apr 4, 2005 #1
    How would you check your answer using a Ti86 for implicit diferentiation problems?

I was looking through some source code at ticalc.org and found this tidbit for an implict differentiation section:

(after given a point x and y, with function F1)

If der1(F1,y)==0
    [exit]
    else
    (-der1(F1,x))/(der1(F1,y)) --> M
    -M*x+y --> B

and it then displayed the slope M and the constant B as the tan line.

So, to check an answer, could I set y to some value, find x, and then treat the function as one variable and find the slope at point (x,y) by taking the derivativee of x with y equal to whatever set value and derivative of y with whatever x was found to be, in the equation -der(F1,x)/(der(f1,y) ? Does this make sense?

Also, shouldn't there be a way to use the point with the derivative i compute to check it's validity?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2005 #2
    oh wait, hehe i can probably use newton's method, if i have a point on the curve and a tangent equation to test out. Is this correct?

4. Apr 11, 2005 #3
    Figured it out. Not sure why but -dy/dx/dx/dy gives me the slope of implicit equations when i get a valid point. I whipped up a simple program for those like me who would like to check their answers:

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/367/36784.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?