Calculating Ocean Depth using Sonar Signals

• Thread starter aerogurl2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the speed of sound in water is 1498 m/s. The sonar signal takes 1.80 seconds to return to the ship, which is used to calculate the depth of the ocean. The frequency of the wave is 0.5555555556 Hz and the wavelength is 2696.4 m. The time needed for a water wave to change from the equilibrium level to the crest is 0.18 seconds, which corresponds to one fourth of a wavelength. The period of the wave is 4 times as long, and the correct frequency can be calculated using the correct period.
aerogurl2
I just want to check if I did this question correctly because I'm not really sure if I did.
The speed of water is 1498 m/s. A sonar signal is sent straight down
from a ship at a point just below the surface, and 1.80s later the reflected signal is detected. How deep is the ocean beneath the ship?

First I found the frequency by uing the equation: f= 1/T which is 1/1.80s=.5555555556 Hz

then I used the equation vel=frequency X wavelength and rearrange it to vel/frequency= wavelength which is (1498m/s)/(.5555555556Hz) and I got 2696.4 m Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
aerogurl2 said:
I just want to check if I did this question correctly because I'm not really sure if I did.
The speed of water is 1498 m/s.
To be exact, this is the speed *of sound* in water/
A sonar signal is sent straight down
from a ship at a point just below the surface, and 1.80s later the reflected signal is detected. How deep is the ocean beneath the ship?

First I found the frequency by uing the equation: f= 1/T which is 1/1.80s=.5555555556 Hz

then I used the equation vel=frequency X wavelength and rearrange it to vel/frequency= wavelength which is (1498m/s)/(.5555555556Hz) and I got 2696.4 m Is this right?
The 1.80 second is the time for the signal to return to the ship, it has nothing to do with the period of the sound wave itself.

It's a bit like if I would tell you that a sound pulse traveling at 343 m/s was emitted by a siren, was reflected by a wall at a certain distance and then came back 2 seconds later. It is simply a problem involving speed= distance/time and nothing else.

You actually do not know the frequency nor the wavelength of the sound wave and you *cannot* calculate it.

Simply use distance of travel = speed * time and be careful to remember that the distance traveled by the sound wave is twice the depth (because the signal had to do a roundtrip)

Patrick

ohhh i see...hmm the answer turns out to be 2696.4 m as well:smile:

The time needed for a water wave to change from the equilibrium level to the crest is 0.18s.
a) what fraction of a wavelength is this?
I don't get how you get this
b)What is the period of the wave?
wouldn't the period of the wave be 0.18s since you do f= 1/T then T= 1/f
c) What is the frequency of the wave?
f= 1/T 1/0.18s= 5.5555555556 Hz

aerogurl2 said:
ohhh i see...hmm the answer turns out to be 2696.4 m as well:smile:
Be careful, this is the total distance traveled by the wave, not the depth .
The time needed for a water wave to change from the equilibrium level to the crest is 0.18s.
a) what fraction of a wavelength is this?
I don't get how you get this
Draw a sine wave. If you go from the equilibirum position ot the crest, what fraction of a wavelength does that correspond to? I will tell you since I have to go to bed now. It is one fourth of a wavelength. Do you see?
b)What is the period of the wave?
wouldn't the period of the wave be 0.18s since you do f= 1/T then T= 1/f
No, this corresponds to only one fourth of a full wave. So it would take 4 times as long to have a complete oscillation. So the period is 4 times as long
c) What is the frequency of the wave?
f= 1/T 1/0.18s= 5.5555555556 Hz
with the correct period, you will get the correct frequency.

Patrick

i appreciate your help thnx =)

1. How do I check my answer on wave?

To check your answer on wave, you can use a variety of methods such as solving the wave equation and comparing your solution with the given answer, using a wave simulator software, or consulting a wave physics textbook for example problems and solutions.

2. What is the best way to verify my answer on wave?

The best way to verify your answer on wave is to use multiple methods of solution and compare your results. This will help to identify any mistakes and ensure accuracy in your answer.

3. Can I use online resources to check my answer on wave?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as wave calculators and simulators that can help you check your answer on wave. However, it is important to double check the accuracy and reliability of these resources.

4. How do I know if my answer on wave is correct?

If you have followed the correct steps and used proper methods to solve the wave problem, then your answer should be correct. It is important to double check your calculations and compare your answer with multiple sources to ensure accuracy.

5. What should I do if my answer on wave is different from the given answer?

If your answer is significantly different from the given answer, it could indicate an error in your calculation or approach. It is best to review your steps and try solving the problem again. If you are still unsure, consult with a teacher or colleague for assistance.