1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checking on my answer on wave

1. May 17, 2006 #1
    I just want to check if I did this question correctly because I'm not really sure if I did.
    The speed of water is 1498 m/s. A sonar signal is sent straight down
    from a ship at a point just below the surface, and 1.80s later the reflected signal is detected. How deep is the ocean beneath the ship?

First I found the frequency by uing the equation: f= 1/T which is 1/1.80s=.5555555556 Hz

then I used the equation vel=frequency X wavelength and rearrange it to vel/frequency= wavelength which is (1498m/s)/(.5555555556Hz) and I got 2696.4 m Is this right?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To be exact, this is the speed *of sound* in water/
    The 1.80 second is the time for the signal to return to the ship, it has nothing to do with the period of the sound wave itself.

It's a bit like if I would tell you that a sound pulse traveling at 343 m/s was emitted by a siren, was reflected by a wall at a certain distance and then came back 2 seconds later. It is simply a problem involving speed= distance/time and nothing else.

You actually do not know the frequency nor the wavelength of the sound wave and you *cannot* calculate it.

Simply use distance of travel = speed * time and be careful to remember that the distance travelled by the sound wave is twice the depth (because the signal had to do a roundtrip)

4. May 17, 2006 #3
    ohhh i see...hmm the answer turns out to be 2696.4 m as well:smile:

The time needed for a water wave to change from the equilibrium level to the crest is 0.18s.
    a) what fraction of a wavelength is this?
    I don't get how you get this
    b)What is the period of the wave?
    wouldn't the period of the wave be 0.18s since you do f= 1/T then T= 1/f
    c) What is the frequency of the wave?
    f= 1/T 1/0.18s= 5.5555555556 Hz
  5. May 17, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Be careful, this is the total distance travelled by the wave, not the depth .
    Draw a sine wave. If you go from the equilibirum position ot the crest, what fraction of a wavelength does that correspond to? I will tell you since I have to go to bed now. It is one fourth of a wavelength. Do you see?
    No, this corresponds to only one fourth of a full wave. So it would take 4 times as long to have a complete oscillation. So the period is 4 times as long
    with the correct period, you will get the correct frequency.

6. May 17, 2006 #5
    i appreciate your help thnx =)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?