• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Checking Some Complex Limits

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
[SOLVED] Checking Some Complex Limits

Homework Statement
Find the limit of each function at the given point or explain why it does not exist.

(a) f(z) = (1 - Im z)-1 at 8 + i
(b) f(z) = (z - 2) log |z - 2| at 2

The attempt at a solution
(a) f(z) is a real valued function and it seems to me that it approaches infinity as z approaches 8 + i. The book states the limit doesn't exist. I don't get it.

(b) This one is also real valued. Can I safely apply l'Hospital's rule? I'm worried because of log |z - 2|. I know |z - 2| is not differentiable at 2 but since I'm taking a limit, I need not worry right? I get that the limit is 0. Is there another way to evaluate the limit without l'Hospital's rule or using power series?

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Saying that the limit is infinity is just saying that it doesn't exist in a certain way. b) is not real valued. But if you consider the absolute value of f(z) you should be able to show that it converges to zero. That |z-2| is not differentiable at zero is not a problem, yes, because you are taking a limit. If |f(z)|->0 then f(z)->0.

Saying that the limit is infinity is just saying that it doesn't exist in a certain way.
Hmm...I was thinking that a limit doesn't exist in the sense of say cos x as x -> infinity.

b) is not real valued.
Right. I ignored the (z - 2). Sorry

But if you consider the absolute value of f(z) you should be able to show that it converges to zero. That |z-2| is not differentiable at zero is not a problem, yes, because you are taking a limit. If |f(z)|->0 then f(z)->0.
According to my book, it says that if a sequence zn converges then so does |zn|, but that the converse is generally false. I would imagine that this also holds for functions so your last statement is necessarily true.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It's certainly false that |f(z)|->L implies f(z)->L. It is not false if L is zero. Think about it.

I got it know. Thank you for the insight.