Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Checking Some Complex Limits

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Checking Some Complex Limits

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the limit of each function at the given point or explain why it does not exist.

(a) f(z) = (1 - Im z)-1 at 8 + i
    (b) f(z) = (z - 2) log |z - 2| at 2

The attempt at a solution
    (a) f(z) is a real valued function and it seems to me that it approaches infinity as z approaches 8 + i. The book states the limit doesn't exist. I don't get it.

(b) This one is also real valued. Can I safely apply l'Hospital's rule? I'm worried because of log |z - 2|. I know |z - 2| is not differentiable at 2 but since I'm taking a limit, I need not worry right? I get that the limit is 0. Is there another way to evaluate the limit without l'Hospital's rule or using power series?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Saying that the limit is infinity is just saying that it doesn't exist in a certain way. b) is not real valued. But if you consider the absolute value of f(z) you should be able to show that it converges to zero. That |z-2| is not differentiable at zero is not a problem, yes, because you are taking a limit. If |f(z)|->0 then f(z)->0.

4. Apr 13, 2008 #3
    Hmm...I was thinking that a limit doesn't exist in the sense of say cos x as x -> infinity.

Right. I ignored the (z - 2). Sorry

According to my book, it says that if a sequence zn converges then so does |zn|, but that the converse is generally false. I would imagine that this also holds for functions so your last statement is necessarily true.

5. Apr 13, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's certainly false that |f(z)|->L implies f(z)->L. It is not false if L is zero. Think about it.

6. Apr 13, 2008 #5
    I got it know. Thank you for the insight.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook