• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Checking vector work

Greetings fellow Physics adorers,

I was wondering if someone could please check my work for this problem. I attached pictures of my work and the problem. It involves vectors.

My instructor said we will be having a problem like this on our exam, and it is an even problem so I'd definitely like to know if I am okay for this problem or not. Thanks for all the help!
2012-09-19 18.13.55-1.jpg

2012-09-19 18.14.32-1.jpg

Answers and Replies

If I decipher your handwriting correctly, you have determined the absolute angles to be 25, 100, 250 and 320 degrees. The last one is wrong. Observe that "-y" corresponds to 3 x 90 = 270 degrees, 40 degrees counterclockwise from -y would be 270 + 40 = 310 degrees.

Greetings Voko,

Thank you VERY much for your response. And yes I do certainly see why that should be 310 degrees and NOT 320 degrees. Other than that, do you think my work looked reasonably well? Was I on the right track to solvong it other than that angle error? I apologize for the handwiriting. I will try to write bigger and cleaner next time.

The components of the first three vectors are calculated correctly. As far as I can tell, you then sum them component-wise, thus getting the components of the resultant vector, then you determine its magnitude and angle. All that seems correct.