1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checking vector work

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    Greetings fellow Physics adorers,

I was wondering if someone could please check my work for this problem. I attached pictures of my work and the problem. It involves vectors.

My instructor said we will be having a problem like this on our exam, and it is an even problem so I'd definitely like to know if I am okay for this problem or not. Thanks for all the help! 2012-09-19 18.13.55-1.jpg

2012-09-19 18.14.32-1.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2
    If I decipher your handwriting correctly, you have determined the absolute angles to be 25, 100, 250 and 320 degrees. The last one is wrong. Observe that "-y" corresponds to 3 x 90 = 270 degrees, 40 degrees counterclockwise from -y would be 270 + 40 = 310 degrees.

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3
    Greetings Voko,

Thank you VERY much for your response. And yes I do certainly see why that should be 310 degrees and NOT 320 degrees. Other than that, do you think my work looked reasonably well? Was I on the right track to solvong it other than that angle error? I apologize for the handwiriting. I will try to write bigger and cleaner next time.

5. Sep 19, 2012 #4
    The components of the first three vectors are calculated correctly. As far as I can tell, you then sum them component-wise, thus getting the components of the resultant vector, then you determine its magnitude and angle. All that seems correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook